Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #1 
Ant10a

How does your Betta react when you have to net it?

Just wondering how your Betta reacts when you have to net it.

We have 1 betta, who just swims over to the net, we scoop him up, place him where we have to, then put him back and he's fine.

The other betta we have flips when he see's the net, have a bit of a hard time getting him in, once he is in he flops until we place him into the other dish to change his water, once all of that is done, he hates me again because I have to net him again! haha

Just wondering how other bettas react.
Ant10a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #2 
lelei

I haven't tried to net my sammy..uggh, I can barely cup him, I have tried baggies, and that seems a lil easier on him..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #3 
HermitGuy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant10a View Post
Just wondering how your Betta reacts when you have to net it.

We have 1 betta, who just swims over to the net, we scoop him up, place him where we have to, then put him back and he's fine.

The other betta we have flips when he see's the net, have a bit of a hard time getting him in, once he is in he flops until we place him into the other dish to change his water, once all of that is done, he hates me again because I have to net him again! haha

Just wondering how other bettas react.
Mine know me well enough to know that they'll be safe when netted. I don't net them often, however. They just sorta swim in and I reach them before they reach the net. The relax and flop a bit. But it doesn't take long before they're back in water.
HermitGuy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #4 
Ant10a

The one who is comfortable with the net, has been in and out of the net many more times because we have had it longer. The other, we just got him not too long ago, so that's probably why he is still nervous. It will probably take a little time for him to realize he is safe, and I'm just giving him a nice clean home every time. Might be a love-hate relationship for him haha!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #5 
Shadyr

I keep the cups they came in, and if I'm doing something big, I cup them. Mine are normally pretty chill with the cups and will swim right in, specially if I give them a pellet once they are in.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #6 
Ant10a

I only have a small local pet store, so they give them in bags.

We have 2, soon to be 3. All in 1 gallon bowls (Yes I know some people are against smaller bowls, or bowls in general) We keep them clean, with water changes every couple of days, and a 100% water change every week. The fish are kept fed properly, their bowls are kept to the proper heat. We have thermometers to make sure. They blow bubble nests and greet us when we walk by. We take VERY good care of them. I am hoping to get a larger tank soon, but right now even with the smaller bowls they are kept in tip top condition and love it.

We net them because we don't have the cups (since they came in bags) and they don't have anything at the pet store I would be able to get like that. The openings at the top of the bowl are big enough, but not that big, that's why we net them. Just scoop them up, and set them in their temporary bowls while we clean their main ones.

Like I said, one doesn't care and likes the net LOL... while the other isn't all that fond of it haha.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Teeney HATES the net with a PASSION. She is smart too, she tries to stay near the bottom of the tank as long as possible around plants and decorations. But when she comes up for a breath, WAPATA. Gotcha Teeney.. Aww I feel bad coz she flips out but she swims away from cups too, its harder to get her in a cup than the net. :P I put her in a container when siphoning because she gets in the way and I feel that me starting the siphon will stress her out more than anything. (shaking the siphon until I get a flow) She gets really mad going from a 10 gallon tank to a container with about 1 gallon, and 2 inches of water...
teeneythebetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #8 
Ant10a

The one who hates that net, always stays by the side, knowing that I won't be forceful... then I just hold the net by it, it swims out just enough to be in the net, and then up and out he goes so I can clean his house! lol
Old 06-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #9 
Bladezero

It's rare that I need to net them but here are their reactions.. :P
Oscar - Becomes gray and striped(blue and black normally lol) and will flare at me for a few days after.

Merlin - Couldn't care less doesn't even flop, but then again he's my smartest, toughest of them and when I took him he was not far from death.

Shanks - He's more curios then anything.. Floops abit but when he's back in water its like he was never out..

Mario - Scared s**tless.

Alpha and Pizit(tiny in hebrew), They HATE cups and nets they don't floop they bite it when inside. but when back to water they act normal again but abit wary of me for a few days lol.

2 new betta(Unnamed :P) - they run away from the cup and the net but recover in a few min and forget about it.

Also got a baby betta but it's only getting cupped and it gets scared but calms down after its back in new clean water (takes about 1 hour to relax)
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #10 
Rosso1011

Both my boys, whether it be netting or scooping... "Oh no you don't!" Scoot, scoot, scoot... "Ahhh!" Flip-flop, flip. They have never taken well to being captured for water changes. I am just thankful that they haven't managed to flop out of my hands.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote