Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #1 
kaaii

Question Please help me sex my baby betta?

Hi, I am new to the website(: I was searching around google in order to find websites that could help me determine the sex of my Petco Baby Betta, Bubba. I had owned a betta fish before when I was a kid but this is the first time that I had gotten one on my own, so I wanted to make sure that I gave my fish a "good" home. I was taught that fish could live in like 1/2 gallon containers so here I was at Petco thinking that my 2 gallon tank would be greatt! So after I set him up I went online to look at other people's experiences with Petco baby bettas & found out a whole lot of information that I was not aware of .. so I plant to upgrade to a 10 gallon as soon as my little guy (or girl .. I'm not quite sure, haha) gets a little older. He currently has an under gravel heater but no filter just yet, the one that my tank came with was too strong for the little guy so I decided to take it out & just keep up with the water changes. I am planning to get the Penn Plax Small World Filter today because I heard that it is gentle enough for Bettas, unless someone has another one to refer me to that is better?(:

So, sorry that was long D: But anyways, could anyone please help me sex my betta &tell me his fin type because I have been going back & forth on it. I got him on June 1 and he has grown considerably (: Thank you for your time!

Here are pictures of him not flaring:
Attachment 57566

Attachment 57569

& Here is a picture of him flaring (better view of finnage)
Attachment 57567

&Here is another picture of him flaring (better view of his head)
Attachment 57568

I'm sorry for the bad quality of the pictures, I used my iPhone & Bubba hardly stays put, haha. The pictures don't do him justice, he is so much more vibrant in person<3

* Sorry, I posted on the wrong forum part & I have no idea how to move it D:
kaaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #2 
mjoy79

He looks like a young male VT.. I wouldn't say he's a baby though.....
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #3 
kaaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoy79 View Post
He looks like a young male VT.. I wouldn't say he's a baby though.....
yeah, overnight on the day I first got him he grew & grew & grew, haha(: He was a very pale shade of blue & looked nothing like he does now, haha. & thank you very much for your answer(:
Old 06-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #4 
bettalover2033

Yes, he is a very nice male veil tail betta. His coloration category is a simple blue and black and red multicolor. He also looks like he will be getting some red wash on his anal and caudal fins.

Anal fin is located under the bettas body while the dorsal is located opposite as the top fin and then the caudal is the back fin opposite of his head.

2 gallons is perfect. The minimum requirement for adult bettas are at least 2 1/2 gallons. I'm sure he won't mind not having the Extra 1/2 gallon. So if you don't want to, you don't have t buy a 10 gallon. Though Im not going to try and talk you out of it because IMO, the saying 'bigger is better' applies for fish completely.

Well, I hope I helped. Also welcome to the forum.:)
Old 06-19-2012, 02:01 AM   #5 
kaaii

Thanks for all the help guys <3 & Thank you for the welcome!

Tags
baby, baby betta, gender, petco, sex