Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #11 
bettalover2033

Yes I have to agree. Brown algae is probably the most annoying. I've found that common pond snails really just wipe it out completely. I'm planning to get a bunch and release them like an army in my tanks so I don't see it again.

Also beware the pond snails reproduce worse than rodents. They are also extremely good and contribute to producing infusoria. Also it has some to do with not enough water changes and too much lighting. I can't change my water all the time because I don't want to disturb the pair.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #12 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberland View Post
Hmm maybe thats why i have icky brown algae in my spawning tanks all the time... I usually leave the light on (during spawning) unless there is no one in there. there is plenty of light from the windows soo... hmmm Im gonna leave it off more often. :) Thanks for mentioning that!
If there is a lot of algae growing in the tank, then your nitrates are probably way too high..... Algae does not grow on just water, it needs nitrates.

More water changes are in order....

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #13 
bettalover2033

Yeah, that's what I said. Also from too much lighting. Well that's for brown algae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffegg2 View Post
If there is a lot of algae growing in the tank, then your nitrates are probably way too high..... Algae does not grow on just water, it needs nitrates.

More water changes are in order....

Jeff.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #14 
Timberland

IDK y there is brown algae in a tank w no fish and only live plants. Nothing dead. I used to have pond snails in there and there was no algae at all. as soon as I got rid of them is when all my issues started. I just cleaned out the tank and added a few pond snails so will see what happens. Ive also kept the light out altho I should turn it on for a few hrs a day bc of the java moss.
Timberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #15 
tpocicat

The snails should eat the algea.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #16 
jeffegg2

Cool

A little bit of algea is normal. Brown or green same thing... Excessive algae is an indicator that you have too much Nitrate in the tank. Eliminating light will take care of some of the algae, but not the cause.

I have been putting the used aquarium water on my houseplants and outdoor garden. Everything is growing great this year!!!

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #17 
December

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
1. IMO around 4 months.... not really sure .... tiny fry mixed with 4 month old will grow normally. So I assume abiut 4 months.
Any one else have an idea or have done reading or have experience to supports this? This is a very interesting question and answer. Thanks for the answer.

Last edited by December; 06-25-2012 at 09:43 PM.
December is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:21 AM   #18 
bettalover2033

It's the lighting and not Enough water changes. The snails controle the brown aLgae in the tank and brown algae is just the skeletons of *Diatoms and the pond snails just wipe it out completely. Also I keep the light on for my live plants a couple of hours as well so they can grow more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberland View Post
IDK y there is brown algae in a tank w no fish and only live plants. Nothing dead. I used to have pond snails in there and there was no algae at all. as soon as I got rid of them is when all my issues started. I just cleaned out the tank and added a few pond snails so will see what happens. Ive also kept the light out altho I should turn it on for a few hrs a day bc of the java moss.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #19 
Timberland

Guess I find it strange that I will have brown algae within a week or less. surely with only live plants in there I shouldnt need to change the water after a 100% change within a week? LOL Thats why I was baffled!
Timberland is offline   Reply With Quote