Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #1 
DazedBetta

Filter Suction

So friend of mine is giving me his 10 gal tank with heater and filter and everything I need the problem is his filter is a topfin power filter 10 ill find a link with a pic but the filter to my knowledge is not adjustable is there a way to slow down the suction or wrap the suction tube in a sponge or something?
DazedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #2 
Shadyr

Sponges around the intake, and baffle around the outflow. I've seen stickies on both.

Free things are nice Have fun with the new setup!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #3 
DazedBetta

Sticky on the intake?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #4 
teeneythebetta

For the intake, they make sponges specifically shaped to slide around the intake. But I could not find this in stock at my stores, so I bought at petco, "AQUA CLEAR filter insert foam" It is supposed to go inside the filter, but I just cut it into a little rectange and shoved it in the intake ;)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #5 
DazedBetta

Just got the tank and filter anddddddd a brand new air pump in the box. Went out got a car sponge figured make a sponge filter and sponge cover for intake. I love spending $1.50 and getting a full set up.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #6 
DazedBetta

Sry for double posting but have a question on the filter intake used a car sponge it apears to be to hard to intake but strong enough to catch a fin ......too thick of sponge.....ideas?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazedBetta View Post
Sry for double posting but have a question on the filter intake used a car sponge it apears to be to hard to intake but strong enough to catch a fin ......too thick of sponge.....ideas?
You need to use aquarium sponge or foam! The car sponge may or may not hurt your fish- an over time it will break down since is not designed to be in water 24/7
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #8 
Shadyr

Gratz on the free stuff, and you were right, I thought there was a sticky on both, but there was only one on the baffle! One other easy intake solution I've seen people say they use is to cover the intake tube in a section of women's panty hose. (I would guess it's tied or rubber banded on to keep it in place?)

None of my tanks are filtered, so I only have what I've read to go by!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #9 
craiger75

Thumbs up

Yep, that's the way to do it (panty hose). And, there was a post about the intake valve that I was looking for a couple of days ago, and had no luck finding either. Prolly reappear when I don't need it There is a sticky on baffling, looks pretty good, I haven't tried it out yet but it's in the works

Last edited by craiger75; 06-20-2012 at 05:03 PM.
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #10 
Neil D

YOu can also use a bottle around the intake to baffle it. I've used a glass one for more than a year and it works great!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote