Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #1 
lyolya

Smile Azolla fern question

So today i went ahead and bought some azolla. I put it in the tank and realized that the roots were too long for my 5 gal and were creating too much shade + no swimming room for my betta. I tried to research, but didn't find much info on it as far as keeping it inside. i thought a bit and went ahead and cut the roots. They're now about 1 inch and look really nice.

Did that damage the plant? To my liking i would just keep trimming back the roots as they grow to around an inch. Is that ok?

I do have a back-up batch just in case. I actually got too much of it so i might house some outside in the backyard in a tub or smth :)
lyolya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:05 AM   #2 
lyolya

oh yes. forgot one more question. how low should i keep the water level? i mean, now i have a bit of space between the glass top and the fern, but the water level is still almost to the top. should i make it lower or keep it high?

Tnx :)
Old 06-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #3 
lyolya

i guess no one has azolla, the fairy moss? :/ well, i'll report that the roots have grown overnight, and the leaves r turning red, which is good, means its getting a lot of light. i'm thinking it's gonna be pruning every 2 days, but that's ok. i'll post a pic of the plant if anyone is interested :)
Old 06-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #4 
kfryman

It is just a floating plant right? Leave the roots alone, if you want, cutting too much of the roots may shock the plant, but shouldn't kill it. The shcock could be great and kill it. I am not familiar with that floating plant but I have many others.

Last edited by kfryman; 06-21-2012 at 05:06 PM.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote