Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #1 
Cinderwolf

Finally got me some driftwood!

It was on sale. So I took the plunge. So far it has been boiling for hmm about 3 hours. I changed the water once when it got opaque with tannins. i'll scrub it out with a scrub brush too. Any other suggestions for cleanign this thing off. It's mopani drift wood. . . Super excited to rescape the tank aroudn this! it's gonna look nice and full compared to the tiny rock arch thing in there now.

Also.. I am strongly considering adding dirt to my tank . I have sand in there now, but it is apparently a spawnign ground for cyanobacteria ( Blue Green Algae) and I think I will have to replace the sand to get the particles out. So I figure. If I do that, why not add dirt. Cause.. that would realllly help my plants out. They arent growing much at all. That and a new light.

Is miracle grow organic the best way to go? How much do I need for a 6 gallon tank( not a long one like the book shelf ).

Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #2 
laoshun

looks like a really nice piece that you got there, nice.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #3 
copperarabian

oooo I love driftwood! that particular type tints the water beautifully :D
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #4 
lyolya

prepare yourself for a lot of months of ugly looking mold. no matter what you do. lol u will have a bunch of tannins leaking out too for at least half a year, but that's not a bad thing for the fish. u might get lucky with mold, but unlikely :/ sorry, i just don't want you to get too excited and then see how much trouble wood can be when you first get it :/
lyolya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #5 
laoshun

really depends on the wood, i havent had any mold on my pieces of wood.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #6 
lyolya

yeh but mopani is notorious for getting mold. i have 2 pieces i just didn't have patience to wait anymore after a year and didn't wanna soak them in tubs for more months. i do have a successful piece though and it's gorge :)
Old 06-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #7 
laoshun

u just talking about the white stuff?
Old 06-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #8 
lyolya

yep :) to be fair i had big thick pieces tho. the one that was least problematic was pretty thin in comparison.