Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #1 
Cattitude

Giant vs. regular care

I'm thinking of getting a giant betta, either male or female. I'm wondering if there's anything special about caring for a giant, like food requirements, environmental needs, different resistance to disease? What tank size do they need?

Has anyone ever tried a giant sorority before? I guess you couldn't mix giants with regular females?

Also, does anyone know of a breeder of giants who would ship to Canada? (Or a breeder in Canada.) I know I can get them via Aquabid but I'd prefer someone more local if possible.
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

LitleBettaFish runs a mixed sorority.

As far as I know, they're like normal-sized Betta except they eat a lot more and are regular ammonia machines.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #3 
Ilikebutterflies

My giant count is up to 5 (and I have 4 on the way) and I can tell you that ANYTHING under 2 gallons requires 100% water changes daily. I am feeding mine quite a bit though so of course they are creating more waste. I have two in a divided 10 gallon with plants/sponge filter and my water parameters are holding steady so in my short experience with them I'd say no less than 5 gallons each at the bare minimum with a sponge filter. I don't think you could have a giant sorority (6+) without additional filtration.
The good news is that they are much much much stronger than regular bettas and running a regular filter has not been an issue. I have one small betta that I put into my 2g when I took my big one out and completely forgot about the filter intake. As weak as it is on an Eclipse Explorer the poor fish was stuck to the intake tube. He's fine. I rescued him and took the filter out.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post
.... ANYTHING under 2 gallons requires 100% water changes daily..
That is so funny. I was doing 50% changes every other day on my unfiltered 5g, just to keep the ammonia below 0.25ppm.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:09 AM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

My two giant HMPK females live in my sorority. They squabbled initially amongst themselves (one was added earlier than the other) but other than that don't bother throwing their weight around.

My male HMPK lives in my barracks and aside from eating a bit more than my other regular sized bettas he does fine. However, that tank is cycled so I only do partial weekly water changes.

In anything small and uncycled, I will do initial daily parameter checks and then work out a water change schedule based on my readings.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #6 
Cattitude

Thanks a lot for all the info!

I've decided to start a small sorority with a few regular sized females (maybe 4) and one giant for now. I just bought the giant on Aquabid today and she should arrive at the end of the month. When she arrives I'll remove all the females, cup them and float them in the tank for a while, then release them together.

If that's not a good plan please let me know!
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote