Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #11 
Aus

Holy cow.. I think if I fell two meters I'd not be getting up very quickly.. that little fish is tougher than I am. ><

I've heard they're real houdinis, I intend to keep firmly lidded tanks. Glad wrap - for the humidity, I take it? Have the wilds a bigger requirement than splendens for that?

Love the biotope look, as well, it'd be neat to have a Thai native planted tank, with whatever's not on the ban list/Aussie equivalents.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #12 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I'm really taken by B enisae, B simplex and B ocellata. Hoping to get an ocellata.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #13 
ZubinBetta

These wild-type fishes are intriguing. What is the avg. lifespan for some of them? Are they "friendly," like splendens kept as pets? I saw some of these different species at MN Betta Shop (mnbettashop.com) when I visited earlier this month; the muted tones are lovely, like the "organic" notes of fine wine (I would guess). The quasi-natural, planted tank is appealing, too. John Tullock wrote a book on bettas, fishes and fish-conservation being a great interest of his, and another book on growing hardy orchids, and it seems to me that it takes a similar effort, or sort of effort, to welcome something wild into one's home.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

Unimaculata and ideii are mouthbrooders. Although my brownorum and rutilans will also mouthbrood. My rutilan male will now usually hold the eggs for a couple days and then spit them out into a bubblenest. He used to just mouthbrood the whole time and have one or two fry.

The gladwrap is because I have open tanks with no lids/hoods and it can cover any areas your lids don't. They don't require anymore humidity than splendens and most species actually prefer a lower temp.

I assume their lifespans would be on par with the average betta (around 3 or so years). My rutilans are over a year old now and only slowed down their spawning once their fry reached juvie age.

As to tameness, my rutilans were wild-caught and I didn't see them for a month or so when I first got them. Today they are as tame as any of my splendens and spend most of their time out of cover.

Hand-feeding with tweezers is the easiest way to tame wilds down. All my bettas know to come at a tap on the front glass as it's the easiest way to check on them all.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

Well persephone went into the tank at 1pm this afternoon. Straight away they both coloured up and started courtship. They are now under the IAL I floated at the top and they are trying to figure out what they are supposed to do next. Hopefully they will spawn tomorrow.

Love this species and so glad I managed to snag a pair after my last ones died last year.

Will try and get some photos tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

What do you do with all the babies? Sounds like you get fry by the bucket load.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

I don't bother removing as they practically raise themselves on whatever is in the tank until they are large enough to take small pellets, frozen foods and live blackworms. My water is literally crawling with micro-organisms in my wild tanks.

It's sort of a survival of the fittest. My original rutilan fry would wait until dad finished guarding his nest and then eat all his siblings.

Sometimes, they will actually stop spawning and can become quite withdrawn once fry reach adult colouration. It wasn't until I removed their adult offspring and then put it back in that they spawned again. I now have 5 (could be more they hide in the moss) juvenile fry that are perfectly coloured and formed at around 1/2 an inch to an inch in size.

I just want enough fry to have a continued family line. I purchased a new rutilan pair to provide some different blood to my original pair but unfortunately the female somehow managed to escape.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #18 
Aus

Wow, glad the persephones settled in so quickly! Can't wait for the pics. And spawning already! What size tank do you have them in, and how long has it been set up to have developed good stuff at the bottom?

The fellow who's breeding the macrostomas has just had them spawn again, and has 30 or so fry from the last one as well.. I'm very hopeful about having a pair from him later this year or early next (maybe sooner as he's worried about running out of room if they keep up the spawning, ha) so I suppose I'd better get about setting a tank up and learning how to raise live foods..
Old 06-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #19 
LittleBettaFish

I set it up on Sunday or Saturday. I don't cycle my wild tanks as the pH is too low for beneficial bacteria to thrive. Instead I do 25% water changes every two days with conditioned tap water.

Their tank is 60x18x30 (cms) with sand substrate, peat moss over the sand and an IAL and riparian leaf (from Aquagreen) litter on the bottom. They have a pvc pipe hide and a piece of root wood that I covered in java moss. Water is very dark which makes their colours pop.

Make sure you have something heavy over your macrostoma tank. If they jump they can hit the top quite hard and if it is only flimsy they can get through it.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #20 
Aus

Cheers for the tip. They're quite big fish compared to splendens, the males anyway, and hefty with it, so I can imagine the possibility of jumping disasters.

Interesting about the ph. Will be hassling you for tips, when that tank's ready to set up, ha. They need around 100L, apparently, which I don't mind if we don't have to move house.. glad the macro spawn won't be ready for a while yet, we'll be settled either way by then. Plenty of time to organise a proper set up for them.