Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #1 
DeniseSparkles

Unhappy Clamped fins? are my bettas happy??

I have two betta fish, a blue one and a red one. They are in separate 1-2 gallon tanks but are placed next to each other. (pictures below) One picture is how Red looks normally.

They were happy with this arrangement as they were constantly making bubble nests (i read this is a sign of good water quality and happiness). Until yesterday, they began getting really fired up while looking at each other, with their necks flaring and all. Eventually Red backed down and tried hiding and ignoring Blue. Once I saw this put cardboard between the tanks before they got exhausted or it damaged Red mentally.

Then this morning I noticed Red was barely moving and just sitting on the bottom of the tank. His fins were wrinkled and not spread out as they usually are. (picture below) What was weird is that if I come near him he bursts in energy like a spasm then continues to hang around.

I've had both of them for two weeks and they are usually active, but it seems like Blue had thrived and is ready to fight at all times and Red is just slowly wasting away.

EXTRAS
Blue is a constant overeater and his belly looks like a little pea sometimes, so I fast him a bit. Because he is a bit more aggressive would it benefit him to have live food?

Red does not eat much at all.. there is always food left in the tank, maybe he doesnt like the food?

I feed them dried bloodworms in flake form twice a day

I am aware the tanks are small but I am keeping up with the maintenance, I clean the tanks every 2nd or 3rd day or as soon as the water is not clean and if there is any uneaten food. They seems pretty happy with it.
Attached Images

DeniseSparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Do you use tap water conditioner? what brand?

Also, how warm is the water?

Did you know: over flaring can cause stress, sickness, and "blown" fins in bettas? And of course, fin biting too!! This is why I only set my compatible boys side by side (currently only one divided tank!!) while everyone else only gets short flare sessions.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #3 
DeniseSparkles

Yes I use tap water, brand is Nutrafin betta plus. the water is room temperature, 22 degrees, it gets warmer because I almost always have my heater on.

I'm aware of the effects of over flaring, do you think this is what caused this? This is why I put the blue one in another room last night, so the red one could settle back in its own environment.

What do you mean by "blown fins"?

Thank you, you're being very helpful :)
Old 06-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Yes, that is what could be causing it if both were fine before. I've had some bettas go into a depressive mode, stressed mode, and sick mode from flaring - eventually you get to know your betta(s)

Blown fins, refers to when the betta flares a lot, it causes the fins to be stressed, therefore causing tears... Take a piece of paper, and tug on both sides... basically the same concept You're straining the fibers of the paper, causing it to tear.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

Quote:
I feed them dried bloodworms in flake form twice a day
do you mean regular flakes like tropical flakes? Bloodworms should only be given as a treat 1 or 2 times a week. Pellets are better then flakes.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:57 AM   #6 
SweetNightmare

Those cubes are a half gallon, and not suitable for long term housing for any fish. :/ There are no places to hide in something that small. No plants, no cave, no room to swim really. That can stress a betta out just as much as living next to another betta.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:07 AM   #7 
DeniseSparkles

Please excuse my use of the non-metric system as I'm unfamiliar, they are 2litres. I may not be an experienced betta fish owner but I'm not ignorant, I can tell when they're not happy in these cubes. They are fine, they have both been active and healthy since I've been looking after them with the exception of this morning with red.

I'll change their diet to pallets, I want to try brine shrimp but I've been too busy studying to go and locate them in Melbourne.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #8 
Silverfang

2l is roughly half a gallon. Most people on here will tell you than anything less than 10l (which is about 2.5 gallons) is too small for the long term housing of a betta.

I am not mentioning this to harp or nag, just offering you the conversions.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #9 
EllaFish

If one of your fish is not eating, it may be because he is full from previous feedings. More frequent, smaller feedings with variations in food will help. Try to find frozen brine shrimp, it is really really good for them. Bloodworms are considered a treat because the Bettas really llike them, but that is because it's what they eat in the wild. You can feed them bloodworms quite often. Get larger tanks for both (2 gal minimum) and always put the cardboard in there. Food goes flake< pellet < freeze-dried < frozen < live.
EllaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #10 
lelei

Hello and welcome Dsparkles..:) cute name, in any case, I would also suggest changing the diet, and offer some micro pellets they are so much better, and a great staple food, and help to boost color, and energy. If you cannot get the brine shrimp, also the Freeze dried items to tend to expand in the belly, causing bloat..and constipation, so offer the Freeze dried bw's as a treat, maybe 1-2x a week, I have noticed a drastic improvement with a rescue I recently took in, and this lil guy did not eat, so I jumpstarted his appetite with a f/d bw..and now he's on a micro pellet diet 2-2x a day, and his colr is enhancing, and he hopefully will get some energy, and I hope you lil guy is ok, try the micro pellets, it will make a difference. Also the temp of the tanks is 22deg, that is very cold, prob that was celcius? but if you put a themometer on the tank, it would tell you the temp, those tanks are too small to put a heater, but if they are in a warm part of the house, should be ok, but a thermometer will help you to know for sure.:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote