Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #1 
BarefootPixie

New betta has popeye and swollen gill

So I just got Oberon yesterday, and he has one eye popped and one gill is swollen. I'm not sure how long he's been sick, but his water in the store was absolutely filthy and I knew they weren't going to treat him there (being a big chain pet store) so I just had to save him. He is now in a 1.5 gallon tank, heated, filtered, and conditioned. He's swimming and breathing normally and flaring occasionally but has yet to eat, although that's normal considering I just got him last night. Water parameters are all fine and I'm treating him with Maracyn. I took the carbon out of the filter so it wouldn't take out the meds. However, I've heard that some people have treated with Maracyn and had it not work so I'm thinking about treating him with rooibos tea and Epsom salt if the Maracyn doesn't work. Thoughts?
BarefootPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Not sure on the tea although I think I have read here it acts like IALs?

Anyways, epsom salt helps, along with daily clean water. Any popeye betta I got I did daily water changes, NEVER missing a day! And never had a problem :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #3 
BarefootPixie

Yeah, I have heard some stuff about that. I read that somebody used decaf green tea, but then I saw on another forum that someone had had better luck with rooibos. I'm not sure which one to try. :/ In any case I'm about to go and get some Epsom salt so I guess I'll get both teas and wait for some more info. I'm a tea drinker anyway so it won't go to waste. XD
Old 06-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

I think Rooibos is better? I dunno xDD

I'm with you on that - Mmmm tea :p Lucky me I always have decaf green tea and such haha
Old 06-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #5 
BarefootPixie

I'm pretty sure I already have decaf green, but I just went and got some rooibos and Epsom salt so I'll start that treatment when the Maracyn is done. Oberon's on day 3 and the popeye doesn't seem to be getting any better (although the gill swelling has gone down) so I'll start the tea and salt in a couple days.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

The gill swelling going down is great

Tags
betta, gill disease, popeye, swollen gill