Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #31 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLeyla View Post
Those annoying little white specks at the side of the tank? Pfff I hate those guys. ; - ;
Wait....white specks? They're usually a millimeter or longer. They don't usually stick to the sides, they go swirling and flipping around. From what I've heard. But they're adorable.
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #32 
TuckerLove

I made 9 Betta DIY hammocks and sealed the holes of 7 terra cotta pots. Just have to wait 2 days until I can give them their new homes :)
TuckerLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #33 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Do you have a pic or post about how to make the DIY hammocks? Mine have the store bought ones but I'd like to make some. They also help if I aim the hammocks sideways near the filter water, as an added baffle. I love those leaf hammocks!

Last night I added aquarium sponge to the filter baffles I made previously. Today I fed them all baby shrimp pieces instead of their regular betta granules, did partial water changes, unpacked new silicone fake sea anemones, and bought some brine shrimp for another day. I read a new book I bought on bettas and decided to step it up with their food selection. This book was a hundred times better than the first one I found.

I also bought a back up filter and tank on sale .. because I know I want to expand my betta family soon. (Trying to learn how to cycle a tank at the moment.)

Oh yes, and I also glued a little more sand and gravel to pvc pipe I bought at Home Depot to make betta tunnels and hiding spots - the small pvc pipes were different shapes and dirt cheap.

Last edited by mursey; 06-30-2012 at 12:34 AM. Reason: added something
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:06 AM   #34 
Rosso1011

I used a flashlight to help some of the boys spot their food a little easier (this was technically yesterday since it's in the AM here) since we had a power outage.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #35 
ZubinBetta

Quote:
I read a new book I bought on bettas and decided to step it up with their food selection. This book was a hundred times better than the first one I found.
Which book(s) were those?
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #36 
Wink

I bought Fred a floating Betta log. He absolutely loves it. He now has three tunnel/cave things and he loves to swim through all of them.

And Oliver -- my new-ish Betta -- has another new live plant and a moss ball in his aquarium. The poor thing was so exhausted from being in his little dish at Petco for so long. He loves his new space -- 5 gallons, filtered, heated, and lots of plants and caves -- but he has no muscle strength. He's slowly building up his muscles again and exploring his tank.

Still working on saving a rescue fish that was pretty far gone. He wasn't sick per se, but he was a tailbiter and pretty stressed from the poor conditions he was kept in. He was in a 3 gallon when we first brought him home. We switched him to a 10 gallon divided tank and put a female Betta on the other side of him. He was laying on the bottom not moving yesterday. Today he's swimming around, his fins are unclamped, and he keeps going over to the divider to get a good look at her. I think she sparked some life in him. lol
Wink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #37 
staffylover

I cleaned both of mine out today and removed the neons from Blades tank. Not sure if they have nipped his tail or potential fin rot so 20% water change today and again on Wednesday and Friday,
Put a cave in my newbies tank (still to be named) and they both had some live brine shrimp
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:57 AM   #38 
magnum

Bought two neons to put in Stu's tank to stop his boredom and tail biting. They are getting along great, apart from the fact that the neons are quite crazy !
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #39 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZubinBetta View Post
Which book(s) were those?
It's just called The Betta by Mic and Maddy Hargrove, I bet it's not the best book BUT I meant that as far as just finding a book in pet stores, it was much more thorough and had a lot more details then the betta book I got at Petco, the same one I see at Petsmart all the time.

The one I thought was lame is called Aquarium Care of Bettas and it's an Animal Planet book.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #40 
fleetfish

I gave two little souls homes today . . . . One of them is a yellow pineapple VT. Whatever he has he is thin and a little spazzy, which makes me think internal parasites but poop will tell all. The other boy is a beautiful steel blue dragon rosetail, but he's got major finrot - like black fins, and he had rotted specks in his cup it was so gross. I just couldn't leave these poor fellas. They need lots of TLC, especially the VT .... he's in really rough shape. I hope they both pull through.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote