Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #11 
Aus

Most of the easy care plants will grow equally happily in gravel, with a good light. Mine are currently in gravel (not very thick later either) and are filling the tank with growth. I can't imagine how fast they'll grow in soil... I'll be all day pruning them, lol.

Java fern is dead easy to grow, and does best tied to wood with cotton. The roots attach to the wood after a time, the cotton disintigrates. You can't put the roots in substrate, they rot.

Java moss can also be tied to things. I just let mine clump around the tank atm. Can't kill it with an axe (not that I've tried) and it is proven to be a wonderful ammonia sink.

Crypts are easy to grow! Pop them in the substrate and forget them. They grow. Easy!

Anubias also like to be tied to wood or stone.. I use wood, as I like the tannins.

Hornworts' a good floater and a great ammonia sink. I'm thrilled to be getting a pile of that in the mail next week. Elodea's another good one. Pity about the wisteria, it's awesome, but there's plenty of alternatives.

Poke the soil once in a while (I have chopstick ready for that!) or get some Malaysian trumpet snails to help aerate the substrate and prevent toxic pocket of anaerobic gas.

And take pics! Can't forget the pics!

I'm thinking of typing up a plant guide, if nobody else wants to..
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #12 
kfryman

Aus, it would actually be nice to do that, as the plant ones on here are not very good, they are alright but yeah, I think that we need a guide to keeping live plants. If you do I would he glad to help you do it. If you really want to, PM me or something to talk to me and we can work something out. I will do one of no one else does.

True, but to get noticeable results as in, not doing a water change in months is usually only achieved by having soil, unless you have really good substrate.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #13 
ravenwinds

Go for it! Your advice is right on!

Link to pic works just fine and its Size let's me have a closer look at plants. The tall stem plants with frilly tops look like water sprite to me. The second plant is a hygrophilia I believe.
My local stores either had no plants or a really poor selection ("we have java fern, java fern on rock, java fer on wreath, Amazon sword, and java fern." :O)...so I bought online. Aquabid sometimes has really good deals like pots (i got 150 ludwigia depend for 30 bucks after shipping. Some of my favorite aquabid sellers: p_volitan(large selection, grown in his aquariums, great to work with, very clean plants arrived w/o any deaths), praxis(+4 #s) ( huge selection of mosses, helpful, good communication), mikeswetpets, planted aquarium Central (very clean plants, great selection & communication, helpful, personal experience w/every plant sold).
I have bought a lot of plants from aquariumplants.com and Planted Aquarium Central(yes they have online store as well as selling on aquabid.

Note: I am fairly certain that I bought water wisteria from a NY seller off of aquabid!

Thank you kfryman for giving the percentage of fast growing stem plants needed to start up a NPT. Basically, you want to,fill tank w/fast growing stem plants which will soak up,excess nutrients such as ammonia and nitrate and nitrite.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #14 
ninjafish

Awesome, thank you raven! I will check these sellers out as soon as I have more money. I look forward to the Aus/kfryman collab on plants :3

And wow...that lfs really didn't know his stuff, then. I made a list of plants and both water sprite and hygrophilia were on there..he said he didn't have them...XD oh well. At least I ended up getting some of what I wanted!
ninjafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #15 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Aus, it would actually be nice to do that, as the plant ones on here are not very good, they are alright but yeah, I think that we need a guide to keeping live plants. If you do I would he glad to help you do it. If you really want to, PM me or something to talk to me and we can work something out. I will do one of no one else does.

True, but to get noticeable results as in, not doing a water change in months is usually only achieved by having soil, unless you have really good substrate.

Yup, but I think a lot of folks don't realise how very easy it is to grow a lush, heavily planted tank of low light plants in just gravel, or an easy-care 'semi-planted' tank, where the plants grow on wood or in little pots (I have those in my smallest tank, makes 100% water changes very easy! also, I can remove them if the fish needs to be treated for something - he's a fin biter >< ).

I'd love to help make a guide for planted tanks - perhaps the various kinds, pros/cons, plus species and why they're good to have / plants to avoid? I'd be happy to do it by PM. I already have a plants to avoid list..

Actually, looking over the low-light list, it's not bad. The basics are there. But I think something more comprehensive would also be good.

Last edited by Aus; 06-21-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:00 AM   #16 
ravenwinds

I agree Aus. This site needs a more comprehensive guide, beginning with the different types of planted aquariums. Also, we do sorely a "dictionary/encyclopedia" of plants, what they look like, how to grow, etc...
If you want additional collaboration, PM me and I'll help in any capacity, even just proof reading/editing :)
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #17 
Aus

If there's a few of us, it might be easier just to make a thread to discuss it.. in fact:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....11#post1124111

There we go. If the mods agree to that, we can ask for it to be deleted, once the plant thread goes up