Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2012, 02:56 AM   #1 
mergan25

What's in the water?

I'v been noticing in the past two weeks or so that the surface of the water in my betta's tank is filmy, and now there are white specks on the surface of the water as well.

He lives in a 3 gallon. I have silk plants, use IAL, and sometimes epsom salts. I do water changes twice a week. The only thing that I have switched up recently is using API stress coat/conditioner; I previously used a regular dechlorinator. Could the film/white specks be from the conditioner? Is this serious? I can see if I can get a picture later on.
mergan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:47 AM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

It's likely just a protein film due to a lack of water agitation. Completely harmless although unsightly. You can just use something to break the water surface to prevent it forming or remove it manually.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:49 AM   #3 
deso

Sounds like a protein film. It's caused by feeding high-protein foods. Nothing to worry about, it's just unsightly. Not sure what the "white specks" are, though.

edit: woops, looks like LittleBettaFish beat me to it.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:00 AM   #4 
ravenwinds

I concur with littlebettafish and Deso...protein film can also be removed manually by gently placing paper towel on surface of water and then removing it...will return as its the nature of bettas carnivorous diet...unsightly, but can look at silver lining: you are obviously feeding your betta a great diet :)

Little white specs are probably one of the micro fauna that naturally lives in the water...most likely harmless but does remind you that we eat/drink/breathe and bathe in water that is home to tons of microorganisms...kind creeps me out, but again, probably let's you know that the water you use is not overly polluted as these microorganisms probably don't exist in heavily polluted water.

I don't think either of these issues are caused be API stresscoat...unless some strange chemical reaction took place if you didn't totally remove all water w/old dechlorinater....although, I have used 2 conditioners at once(like stresscoat and prime) and have done only partial water change when switching conditioners and have not had any adverse reactions.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #5 
Shadyr

I use a cup to scoop out water when doing changes, so I just try to suck as much of the film as I can into each scoop.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #6 
mergan25

Okie dokie, thanks! Good to know it's nothing harmful.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #7 
lelei

I noticed that before I added.an air stone..which adds oxygen to the water so it wont stagnate..and get slimy.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #8 
mergan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
I noticed that before I added.an air stone..which adds oxygen to the water so it wont stagnate..and get slimy.
Ohh.. interesting. I'm not really sure how those work. It won't disturb the water too much in a 3 gallon?
Old 06-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

An Airstone may work but it might also upset the betta - -depending on how much of a current it creates. I would get an airpump rated for 5 gallons and the smallest airstone you can find. You also need airline tubing to connect the stone to the pump.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote