Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #1 
betterfish

Smile New 20 Gallon!

Hello there! I'm very new to the forum, but I've been watching anonymously for quite some time. I have one male betta, Scarface, and 8 neon tetras currently in a 10 gallon tank. They are quite happy, if I may say so! :)

Haha, anyway, I was creeping through Craigslist and found a 20 gallon tank and accessories for only $30! Great deal, I thought! The person said that it came with gravel (so much for that...), fake plants (cheap ones), and an undergravel filter (not all parts).

So, I still believe that I got a deal, but my question to you all is this: should I try to buy the parts to complete the undergravel filter or should I just scratch that and buy a power filter? I have the bottom, bubble tubes, and air pumps to go with the UG filter, but I'm lacking the rest. I've read up on the pros and cons of UG filters and I'm not exactly persuaded either way with the benefits of them.

I'll be making a PetCo run sometime in the next few weeks (no rush), so I'm slowly trying to decide how I'm going to set this tank up. If you all could give me any tips, advice, comments, etc. on this situation, I would very much appreciate it. I haven't even decided what to put into the tank, so you all could even give suggestions on what to put into it! I'm really thinking hard about a betta sorority, but I know that it can be quite difficult to start up.

Again, thanks!
betterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #2 
shadowpony

IMO, undergravel filters are useless. Scratch that, go for a nice power filter. Whatcha gonna put in it? You could use the gravel, depending on the fish and if you want it planted. Great deal though!
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

I'm not a filter expert but I have read that undergravel filters aren't worth the hassle. You can get a power filter for pretty cheap - depending on what kind you want. I have 2 aqueon ones and I have no complaints - one is in a 10G one a 20G.

If it came with air pumps, you can go with a sponge filter. sponges I cant find in stores but you can get them for cheap via amazon or ebay or any online petshop and they are supposed to be very good for bacterial filtration

Not bad for $30, since new 20G's are about $40 not including the gravel. I'm setting mine up today and a 20 pound bag of sand is $20. I may just go with a bag of playsand. much cheaper
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote