Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #1 
Kasablanca

Dropsy

I noticed that Starburst my male blue VT was looking fat last week, so I decreased his portion as much as possible since he lives in a 20gal community tank. Then today I noticed his scales were lifted up and his belly looked even bigger and his gills looked swollen. I wasnt sure what was going on, so I came here and read about Dropsy. I think he has it, so I put him in a 1 gal QT tank with AQ salt for the night to see if that will help.
What else should I do to help him?
Are my other fish in my 20gal tank at risk of getting Dropsy?
Kasablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #2 
Pogthefish

Possibly, watch closely, but its not likely. Do u have pics of the one with dropsy?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #3 
zombiegirl

From what I know, it's Epsom Salts you want to use with dropsy and not AQ Salt. AQ Salt can actually make bloating worse. I recently lost a CT to it. I don't know about the others in the tank. Hopefully someone else who has more knowledge can help you. I'm fairly new to betta keeping and wish I could help more. I'm sorry your boy is sick.
zombiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #4 
Katy

Are there other symptoms? You may want to fill out the information (see sticky on this part of the forum) to increase the chances of getting the proper advice. And yes of course a pic would be nice:)
Good luck!
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #5 
Pogthefish

Salt is salt and Aq salt (IMO) works wonders. only use it 10 days tho, kidneys...
Old 06-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #6 
Kasablanca

Thank you everyone for the luck. He looked a bit better this morning, his scales looked as if they went back down a little, or it could just be me hoping they did. He also has a horizontal stripe on him. I am assuming its because he is stresses/sick.

I also found the form and here is the information:

Housing
What size is your tank? 20 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 6 platies (mickey mouse/redwag) 5 cory fish (panda/julii) and 1 golden mystery snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin Max betta flakes, topfin freeze-dried bloodworms, omega one freeze dried brine shrimp. He may also eat the tropical flakes, shrimp pellets and algae wafers I feed to the other tank mates.
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day, everyday except sunday (fasting day)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 3 times a month
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 2 25% and 1 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon water conditioner, and Kordon AmQuel Plus ammonia detoxifier

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms? last week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? QT tank with AQ salt and 100% water changes each day and increased temp to 82.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him late March, and he is a big boy.

Here are some pictures of him from today.
The last picture is of him from May
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #7 
Pogthefish

Yup, that IS dropsy.. that is NOT enough water changes for that size and that stocking of a tank... look into that plz? There isnt much you can do or the poor fishy... sorry, dropsy is almost always (as in 99.9% of time) fatal.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #8 
zombiegirl

Pog is right. That's how Jekyll looked the day before he died. I have heard of people treating with Maracyn and Epsom Salts, but once the pineconing has started, that typically means the illness is too advanced to heal. I'm very sorry. You'll want to watch the rest of your fish carefully.
zombiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #9 
Kasablanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
Yup, that IS dropsy.. that is NOT enough water changes for that size and that stocking of a tank... look into that plz? There isnt much you can do or the poor fishy... sorry, dropsy is almost always (as in 99.9% of time) fatal.
I will add more water changes, apparently the "fish expert" at petsmart is not such an expert. They said I could have 20 full grown fish in there. So I went with 12 fish and 1 snail just to be safe. Well if Starburt has dropsy then I guess that means one less fish in my tank :(
Old 06-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #10 
Kasablanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiegirl View Post
Pog is right. That's how Jekyll looked the day before he died. I have heard of people treating with Maracyn and Epsom Salts, but once the pineconing has started, that typically means the illness is too advanced to heal. I'm very sorry. You'll want to watch the rest of your fish carefully.
Thank you for the support. I'm sorry to hear about Jekyll. I hope Starburst doesn't suffer to much. I will try the Epsom salts tonight when I bring them home from the barn. I used them on my horse rectory when she had an abscess on her hoof. Thanks again!