Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #11 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
Someone already wrote to take out bamboo. I would concern about that roots. I think
betta can decide swim through them and stuck. I don't know may be i am paranoid.

I think that bowl looks like mine it can be even 1 gall.

Nuts4Mutts it good that you left that space between the water and the top of the tank. Bettas can jump out.

If your tempe between 76*-80* you don't need a heater. Not sure where you live but the place i live like 90* now , i am afraid my bettas too hot lol
My tank *somehow* would stay at 78 degrees in the day time but the temp drops quite a bit at night. I got a heater with a thermostat so it stays at 80 degrees 24/7.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #12 
lelei

Hello and Welcome to the forum, and I am so glad to see you came to the right place for answers, because that lil snail will cause more harm than good. Yes, definatley invest in a Kritter keeper, for now, unless you just get a tank, but a kk can hold a heater, if you get the large size, it is a 3 gal and the med size is a 1.75 gal.

Also silk plants, and some real ones, or a combo of both, or the ones recomended (the plastic) ones is ok, as long as they are not sharp, just check, (there is a pantyhose test that you would need to do) some can rip the delicate fins, if your lil guy so happens to get caught between the plants, leave room in beetween each plant, and open leaves, if possible,

And a great lil cave (hiding spot) I just recently got one at Petco the other day, it's a coral ball, with 2 doors, (holes) and our new lil guy (a rescue) who's quite content inside it's dark, and comforting:)

Good luck with your new family member, and keep us updated as well:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #13 
lelei

Also when you have limited space, this is what I do, get a fairly larger tank, for height, rather than width, and these work great for that:) This is what our lil guy was in..just recently moved into a 5 gal longer width tank. but when I first put him in this, he loved it very much:)
Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #14 
lelei

This is a 5 gal, and they have them at Petco for 25$ and with 10$ in gravel, and plants and cave, and a 15$ heater Tetra is the cheaper brand, and a lil at a time and about 50$ you have a great tank, and all the supplies:)

Also with smaller tanks, they need water changes 3-4 times a week, and with a bigger tank (adding an air stone) also helps the water oxygenate, water changes are less frequent (some of the bigger tanks also come with air bubblers and or filters for that purpose)
Old 06-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #15 
Nuts4Mutts

Thanks so much lelei & BETTACHICKLOVE for the advice! I'm totally broke right now, but I will try to find a new home for my bamboo so I can take out most/some gravel [I hated putting so much in, but any less & the bamboo stalks tipped over =\], I'm honestly not concerned about water temp, my room has a constant heater so it stays the same temp at night as it does in the day, and we check his water temp, it has stayed at a perfect 75-80* [even if I wanted a heater I couldn't get one, I've got no outlet nearby. Gr!]

What's good recommendations for his diet? Around here there aren't any good stores that will carry live food, so that's out of the question. Right now he is on some really good pellets & he gets a couple freeze-dried bloodworms every day or two. He used to love the pellets, but as soon as he tasted those worms... the pellets are now more toys than food, haha! (He eats them, he has to play with them first)

I read that you should soak pellets in water for 10m first since they expand, so I do that =)
Nuts4Mutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #16 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts4Mutts View Post
Thanks so much lelei & BETTACHICKLOVE for the advice! I'm totally broke right now, but I will try to find a new home for my bamboo so I can take out most/some gravel [I hated putting so much in, but any less & the bamboo stalks tipped over =\], I'm honestly not concerned about water temp, my room has a constant heater so it stays the same temp at night as it does in the day, and we check his water temp, it has stayed at a perfect 75-80* [even if I wanted a heater I couldn't get one, I've got no outlet nearby. Gr!]

What's good recommendations for his diet? Around here there aren't any good stores that will carry live food, so that's out of the question. Right now he is on some really good pellets & he gets a couple freeze-dried bloodworms every day or two. He used to love the pellets, but as soon as he tasted those worms... the pellets are now more toys than food, haha! (He eats them, he has to play with them first)

I read that you should soak pellets in water for 10m first since they expand, so I do that =)
I Feed omega one super color tropical fish pellets. (it brought out white in one of my betta's tails!) The first ingredient is meat and they're of good quality.

Actually you shouldn't soak the pellets. It actually loses nutrients by doing that. As long as you feed the right amount, the Betta won't get bloated :)
If he continues not eating his pellets, I'd not give him as many treats. Maybe as little as once a week. :)
Old 06-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #17 
Nuts4Mutts

@teeny: oh, okay. Yeah, my pellets [can't remember the brand right now, they're for just betta fish though] have fish, wheat flour, and squid as the first 3 ingredients.

Okay, I'll cut back on his tasty bloodworms ;p

What's your opinion on mosquito larva? I read from an owner that they LOVE live larva, and where I live, they're not too challenging to find at the right time of year. So do you think I should try gathering a few of those when they come around [we don't have the scummy scum in the never-been-used bird bath anymore, so I dunno if the mosquito larva will be in there this year anyway.]
Old 06-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #18 
Nuts4Mutts

BTW I can't get over Teeney. It's just such an adorable name! Idk, but I'm finding myself saying "Teeney" in my head just for fun! 0.0 It really suits her great!
Old 06-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #19 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
@teeny: oh, okay. Yeah, my pellets [can't remember the brand right now, they're for just betta fish though] have fish, wheat flour, and squid as the first 3 ingredients.

Okay, I'll cut back on his tasty bloodworms ;p

What's your opinion on mosquito larva? I read from an owner that they LOVE live larva, and where I live, they're not too challenging to find at the right time of year. So do you think I should try gathering a few of those when they come around [we don't have the scummy scum in the never-been-used bird bath anymore, so I dunno if the mosquito larva will be in there this year anyway.]
Sorry can't help ya there. The only treats my bettas get are frozen blood worms. Maybe someone else can help?
Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #20 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
BTW I can't get over Teeney. It's just such an adorable name! Idk, but I'm finding myself saying "Teeney" in my head just for fun! 0.0 It really suits her great!
Lol Ty :3 Teeney also has some friends- pandora, fauna(avatar), monet & Fiona :) There's pictures in my photo album if you wanna look :)