Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #1 
marktrc

male and female living together?

i have read different post on different fish sites regarding putting male and female bettas together in the same tank. some people have success. more then i would have guessed and their tanks are sometimes less then 10 gallons. i am not suggesting for anyone to do this but i would like to know about people past experiences with keeping male and female fighting fish together. (maybe you didnt know better or whatever reason)

i have also read that some people had success with more then one male together in one tank.

if you have tried it and failed im curious to know the details such as tank size, amount of fish, amount of plants etc.

if you currently do keep male(s) and female(s) together please post pictures.
im not referring to sororities and i am not referring to young fish.

again i am in no way suggesting anyone try to do this.
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #2 
lilyth88

Unless you have researched and have the means to support babies, don't do it. Period.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Males and Females can NOT be kept TOGETHER. Unless for Breeding Purposes.
Female Betta Fish have the same Aggression Properties such as the Males. If the Male and Female are in the same Tank they would either Fight, or Mate. If they are kept in the same Tank, Hormones would get into the Water to signal the Male and Female to get near each other. Even if they are Divided, or not.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #4 
ninjafish

When I first got into betta keeping two years ago, I was at Petco and found a cup that had a male and a female in it. Being clueless, I took them home and attempted to house them together in my 10 gallon. It was only about two weeks before they began fighting and needed to be separated.

It's pretty much impossible to keep them together. I believe someone on this forum has successfully managed it in a huge tank, but they have been breeding bettas for quite a while and from my understanding these bettas were mostly siblings who were accustomed to being together.
ninjafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #5 
marktrc

i dont plan to put them together. and yes practically everyone will say you cant keep them together.

what im interested in knowing about is peoples experiences who have actually tried to keep them together for extended periods. (not just for breeding)

its easy to repeat what people say. dont keep them together etc. but what i am curious about is those experiences of people who have tried to keep them together or actually do keep them together if anyone has succeeded.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #6 
marktrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjafish View Post
When I first got into betta keeping two years ago, I was at Petco and found a cup that had a male and a female in it. Being clueless, I took them home and attempted to house them together in my 10 gallon. It was only about two weeks before they began fighting and needed to be separated.

It's pretty much impossible to keep them together. I believe someone on this forum has successfully managed it in a huge tank, but they have been breeding bettas for quite a while and from my understanding these bettas were mostly siblings who were accustomed to being together.
thanks ninjafish thats what i was interested in. just that kind of info.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #7 
lvandert

I think OFL trains her boys not to bite each other? I think it was her, I could be really wrong on who it was but she's been doing bettas a long time. lol I'm hoping she maybe comes along
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Its not encouraged or recommend to keep male and female Betta together long term....more because so many things can go wrong and we don't want to give the wrong idea to someone new to the hobby and set them up for failure....

I really dislike words like "never" and "always" But sometimes-we have to use those words to get our point across.

While I personally keep male and female Betta together long term for both breeding and non-breeding reason without issues.....I would Never recommend others do it....not that I feel I am special and can do it-but because there is more to it than placing 2 fish in a tank of water....

I have been successful keeping both multi males and females together long term-but that has taken years and generation in really heavy planted large tanks and its not without issues. Even breeding least aggressive to least aggressive fish-you are dealing with instinct that are hard wired in the fish and a common hobbyist like myself can't change that. But understanding some of this can help you become successful in keeping a pair together-I just will never recommend it to others......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #9 
Pogthefish

She IS right. If you have TONS of cover and decor and a REALY long tank it is manageable, like in the wild, but isnt it better to just separate them?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #10 
lvandert

They don't have them together nor do they plan on it. They just want information on people who have failed and succeeded in keeping them together. I'm assuming its a project of sorts
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote