Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #11 
balbrt1

Another tip...No spring water. Just use tap water and add water conditioner. There are some good things in our water that they need. If you do not treat the water it will kill your betta. Congrats on the new pet. Just read all the info and upgrade/buy things as you can. Lots of help on this board...
balbrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #12 
teeneythebetta

Yeah I don't use the spring water but I use the jug to refill ;)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #13 
Nuts4Mutts

Yeah, all I'm doing is filling an old milk jug with tap water & adding the conditioner, then I will add water when I need to change his tank. =)
Nuts4Mutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #14 
Nuts4Mutts

PROGRESS!

Okay since I can't afford a bigger tank/heater and Mom won't let me buy one even if I could, I re-did his 2-gal bowl a little bit. fBefore pic ^ Had about 4 inches of gravel, bamboo stalks were 3ft high (That's why there was so much gravel, to hold the bamboo up), had one other leafy plant with lots of roots spread out. <---Changes I trimmed about a foot off of the bamboo so it stands up easier. Took out over half of the gravel [there's just enough to keep the bamboo from tipping], clipped the most of the roots off the plant, added another leafy plant (He LOVES hiding in them)
Old 06-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #15 
teeneythebetta

It looks much better! He's got some more room now :)
Old 06-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #16 
Nuts4Mutts

Yesss! He's so happy now! I wish I could take all of the gravel out, but the bamboo is SOOOOO pretty, and he's look kinda bland without anything in his bowl.... lol...
Old 06-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #17 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts4Mutts View Post
Yesss! He's so happy now! I wish I could take all of the gravel out, but the bamboo is SOOOOO pretty, and he's look kinda bland without anything in his bowl.... lol...
Oh no it's perfect. Bettas can get depressed without anything in their tanks. :/ it looks great!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #18 
ZackyBear

Treated tap water~ Every few days.

I wouldn't get a snail, they poop a lot and could bring your water changes to 100% daily (to keep ammonia down).

Since you don't have a heater, what you can do is scrub it out with very hot water, as well as soak the rocks in really hot water. Let the tank sit, put everything back together, then fill it with slightly less warmer water.

Both the tank and the rocks will help keep the water around 77 until the next water change :3 Unless you suddenly have a drop in temperature or something...hmm.....

Also a bamboo tip - Every other day I would take the bamboo out and let the roots sit out for a while to get some air. Bamboo isn't aquatic and the roots can eventually rot and become harmful to your betta :(
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts4Mutts View Post
I'm assuming also that I will be a much better fishkeeper with experience over just reading info right?
Reading the right info will make you a better fishkeeper sooner, with less wear and tear on your fish. ;-}
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #20 
lelei

Yes..this is a great forum tolearn all yu need to know to become a great betta mommy:) I have learned so much just in the past 2 months since I am fairly new to the fish world too..&completly understand how yu feel:)..btw..yes fishys love big soft leaves to hide and play in..I have an Amazon Sword in our lil guys tank:)..and a tall red Silk plant..those are his fave 2 for sheltr:)
Yur bowl looks very nice..good job!
Posted via Mobile Device
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote