Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #1 
eaturbyfill

Urgent betta head injury

As he woke up earlier, he thrashed and hit his head. It is swollen, red, and looks very bad. Please help me. Is there anything that I can do to help him?

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 76-78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Not at the moment, tried to minimize current since he is injured
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and freeze dried bloodworms occasionally
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once or twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? We try to do 30%, but the water needed to be changed so we did 50% this morning
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just Tetra water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Just tested .5. Performing another small water change to try to help without disturbing him.
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7.2
Hardness: Soft
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a large bump on the top of his head, looks red and bloody
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not eating, only moving to breathe, seems like he is dead resting on the rocks and side of the aquarium
When did you start noticing the symptoms? As soon as he thrashed and hit his head
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I don't know what to do
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He has only had one bout of sickness, ich/ick, and that was a year ago
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2

Last edited by eaturbyfill; 06-21-2012 at 01:38 AM.
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #2 
Aus

Ah, poor fish!

I've never had an injured betta, so I'm not sure of what to do.

I have read that it's good to keep a shocked fish somewhere dark and quiet, and I'm supposing he might be a bit shocked if he's hurt himself that badly. Hopefully someone experienced with injury will help out.

What did he hit his head on? I'm a bit concerned that he was 'thrashing' hard enough to do that to himself..
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #3 
eaturbyfill

It was so odd, he's never done that before. And it was really fast, but I think he hit his head on the gravel

Edit: Would it be okay to use Ammonia Clear?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #4 
Aus

It is odd behaviour - makes me wonder if he's got the start of ich or velvet, which can make them 'flash' like that, dart around trying to itch themselves.

How's he doing??? Poor little guy.

If he's not so badly shocked by now, I would put him a warm AQ salt solution in case of infection (and maybe ich or velvet - look for white spots or shine a torch on him, see if there's a bright copper/gold sheen..)

1 teaspoon per gallon. Nice and warm. Keep him out of noise/bright lights.

That's all I can think of to do, immediately.. :(
Old 06-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #5 
Aus

It'd be better to do a 50% change right away, with ammonia that high.. or put him in a smaller hospital tank if you can. If he has ich or something, treating him with 100% water changes daily will be easier in a small tank..

Depends on how close to shock he is?

I dunno! Hopefully someone who's dealt with injuries will come along..

ETA: Some API Stress Coat would likely help, if you can get some.

Last edited by Aus; 06-21-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:18 AM   #6 
Aus

AHA. I found some info on treating betta wounds:

http://nippyfish.net/2007/04/16/when...-betta-wounds/

I did a search here, but it was taking so long to scroll through the threads on my slow net...
Old 06-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #7 
eaturbyfill

It turns out our tap water is the source of the ammonia! We used the Jungle ammonia tablets and it brought it down, but not enough. We are going to test a friend's water and we may have to haul it here. :/

Right now we have the front of the tank covered so he won't see movement and be scared by it. He did it once more today, but not like he did before. I do not think it is ich, because he has had that before, so I know how he is with it. I will look up velvet and the link that you posted.

The swelling went down a little, but there is still a gash/sort of red and raw spot.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #8 
Twilight Storm

Prime water conditioner has an ammonia control in it I think. You may want to look into that brand of tap water conditioner, or at least research it a little better so you can see if it will help you with your water. I would think it would be easier and cheaper to use Prime then hauling water, and/or using the jungle products. (If it will do what you need it to do.)

As for your hurt betta, I have never had one mf my guys injure himself like that. If he is still in bad shape maybe PM OldFishLady? If it were me I would probably move him to a smaller bare bottom container with a 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon of water salt treatment. BUT I never had to deal with an injury that bad. So I would rather you take people's advise who have experience dealing with such an injury.

If you still have problem water I am not sure that moving him to a smaller container would be safe if your 10 gallon is filtering out some of the ammonia with live plants? (java moss does reduce some ammonia I think, you can look up the study online)

I hope your little guy feels better, sorry I couldn't be more help
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #9 
eaturbyfill

We have a one gallon, but because of the gash, I'm afraid to net him, and he's almost impossible to cup..
Old 06-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #10 
laoshun

does it look like the scales are shaved off his head?
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote