Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #11 
eaturbyfill

It looks like they are all the way gone, it looks raw like a human injury would. Sorry I'm not good at explaining it
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #12 
laoshun

hmm, is it possible to provide a picture? sometimes these injuries heal on their old kind of like skin regeneration of humans. My betta scrapped his head and i could see the under layer and i was freaking out but it healed over pretty well.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #13 
eaturbyfill

I would get a picture, but our camera is really, really bad quality. Our good one broke recently. ): It looks like when someone scrapes the skin off of their knee. Raw but not gruesome or anything. The scales are gone but it's not that deep. I'm glad he ate some today..
Old 06-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #14 
Sakura8

How is his behavior? Is he acting dazed or lethargic after hitting his head?

One way to make netting/cupping him easier is to lower the water level in the tank until he has only a few inches left to swim in. It would probably be best if you could get him out and into a hospital tank, as it would make treatment much easier. You will want to keep the water as clean as possible. A very good product to help with healing flesh wounds is Kordon Fish Protector. Some Petsmarts carry this, as do most LFS. Otherwise, pick up API Stress Coat and use a double dose. See how he does in this for a day or two and if it doesn't seem to be healing then we can put him into 1 tsp aquarium salt per gallon.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #15 
eaturbyfill

He is swimming less than he usually does, but goes up for food and air. Yesterday he looked like he was leaning on the rocks and the side of the tank for support, but now it looks more like he's supporting himself, even though he is at the bottom a lot.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Okay. Keep an eye on him. Fish can get traumatic head injuries just like humans and I am sorry to report that they can also die from them. :( Hopefully, he is just a little stunned and doesn't feel very perky and that's all.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #17 
eaturbyfill

Yeah. I guess it depends on if it caused some sort of internal injury. Even if he were to pass, it would help knowing we've always taken care of him the best we could and he's been a happy little fish. I hope that doesn't happen..
Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #18 
Twilight Storm

Good to hear he is doing a little bit better and is eating for you today.

I am not sure what kind of net you have, but if he's impossible to get out of the 10 gallon, maybe look into a brine shrimp net for the future. It's made out of a very very soft silky, usually white, material with no big holes. It's more like a nylon stocking or silky football jersey material consistency. (That was a horrible explanation. :/) I have one of those, and another green scratchy net that came with my first 10 gallon kit. I'm not thrilled with the green net. I wouldn't really want someone to scoop me up with the green kind after a bath. LOL

My best wishes to your little guy and yourself
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #19 
eaturbyfill

Thank you. It is a fine blue net, the holes are really small. He gets stressed by being caught, which is why we moved him from a 1g to a 10g. Taking him out of the water scared me, because I figured the stress would age him.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #20 
Sakura8

It's probably best for him to have a few seconds of stress and be in a hospital tank than to leave him in the 10gal, especially if he's hanging on the bottom a lot. He'll be able to reach the surface easier in a 1gal.