Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #31 
Aus

Glad to hear he's doing okay! Hope he's all better soon.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #32 
eaturbyfill

He acted fine this morning, but now he's acting odd. He ignores the food and is lazily at the top. The swelling is way way down, but now he's acting different
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #33 
Sakura8

Maybe he's still feeling the effects of a fish concussion? It's good the swelling went down because just like humans, swelling in the head puts pressure on the brain.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #34 
eaturbyfill

He's still swimming some and stuff, and ate yesterday. I need him to get better. ):
Old 06-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #35 
Sakura8

Well, swimming is a good sign. He might be a bit confused. If he stops eating for more than a few meals though, then it's time for concern. But the fact that he is still moving around is good. He doesn't swim into the glass or anything like that? He doesn't seem too disoriented?
Old 06-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #36 
eaturbyfill

Aside from being still, he's always swam until he gently touches the glass with his nose.

His behavior is being so random day to day that it makes me afraid he is going to pass. He swims a little, but then he's so still. I'm scared..

Last edited by eaturbyfill; 06-22-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #37 
Sakura8

*hugs* It's random but he's moving. I'd be very, very, very worried if he was lethargic or just laying there. I honestly wish I could tell you what will happen next and that he'll make it but I can't promise anything. I can say that as random as his behavior is, it's not quite as worrying to me as it could be. If he was laying there all the time or if he was swimming erratically and crashing into things, I would be afraid of an irreversible head injury.

Let me see if I can get OFL over here. She's had way more experience with these things than I have and she might be able to shed some light on his case.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #38 
eaturbyfill

I love him so much. He's my best friend. -sighs-

I cried for nearly an hour when he hit his head..

I'll keep updating this thread with any changes. Thank you for helping me.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #39 
Aus

Give him some time. I'll bet he's still a bit stunned and dazed. It's good that he's swimming! Fish often stop eating when they don't feel great, and bettas can go for up to two weeks with no food at all. A day or two won't hurt him, and I bet his appetite returns better than ever once he's feeling well.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #40 
Oldfishlady

Since both you and Sakura have PM's me...let me give my insight in the thread as well.....

The problems with this is more likely due to spinal injury-CNS related.......their brain isn't big enough to injure like it would be in humans, however, spinal cord can be damaged and this can cause enough edema to cause pressure-usually you will see sudden death or slow death or dragging the tail end or buoyancy issues....

The best treatment for something like is...Epsom salt 2tsp/gal, tannins, low water level, no water movement dim lit quiet location and patience......

sometimes they will recover and sometimes they don't......lets all hope he can pull through.....

Good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote