Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #61 
Sakura8

He looks pretty good actually. I think he might just be a little dazed. Try soaking his food in garlic juice to entice his appetite.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #62 
eaturbyfill

Would a garlic powder/water solution be okay to soak it in, or does it have to be specific?
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #63 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

So happy your guy is doing okay..the Life Spectrum Betta Pellets have garlic in them already and my little guy loves them, they are very small, the only thing I dont like about them is the sink fairly fast and I really have to watch close to make sure Perseus gets them before they sink to far, he always does though if I drop them right in front of him.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #64 
Sakura8

Garlic powder should work, just be sure it's only garlic (not garlic salt). You can also use the juice from a jar of preminced garlic. Just mix with a bit of tank water, soak the food, and feed.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #65 
eaturbyfill

Thank you. How much garlic powder do we use? Just a little or a moderate amount?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #66 
Oldfishlady

Garlic powder will help with appetite stimulation- but it won't help for parasites....but I guess that is not what you are wanting it for....just don't want anyone to misunderstand.....

Get a small amount of garlic powder-Then add a small amount of either tank water or dechlorinated and make a slurry....dip the pellet in it-then allow it to dry a bit before feeding the pellet
You can do this on a paper plate....don't need that much of either garlic powder or water

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-25-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #67 
eaturbyfill

Well, I certainly hope he doesn't have that problem too!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #68 
eaturbyfill

We have been trying to get him to eat for days. Since the day after it happened, he still hasn't eaten. He mostly just stays at the bottom. We lowered the water level and turned off the filter to make it easier to swim. Chances are looking grim.

Today, I just moved him to his 1g. It is in the bigger tank, like suggested. The bottom is bare so we can clean it with a turkey baster. I used about 30-40% of his old water and the rest fresh. I let it sit until it felt the same, and caught him in a glass since I removed the decorations prior to sitting the 1g in. We have tried the garlic, and he still shows no interest. He does when one of the pellets sink, but then he was unable to find/see/eat it.

Would soaking flakes and pouring them in possibly be more effective? When I pour flakes into my Goldfish tank, they don't stay up at the top, or completely sink. Would tropical flakes stand a better chance? I am asking because I do not want to pour them in there if it's just going to foul up the water..

Also, how should we go about the water changes? Do we release him into the 10g gently, change, then cup him again? Or is there some other way that it needs to be done?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #69 
Sakura8

:( It's as if his accident did something to his sense of smell/taste. You can try tropical flakes to see if they will work. It all depends on whether or not he can even smell or sense food. Have you tried frozen foods like frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp? If you try frozen bloodworms, you can try wiggling them around as if they were alive to see if that captures his interest.

For water changes in the 1 gallon, probably the easiest way is to cup him and leave him in the cup during the change. Since the tank is barebottom, the change should be pretty fast and he should be okay. If he freaks out, you can try releasing him into the 10gal but it might be harder to catch him.

The only other suggestion I can think of for food is to try live food like mosquito larvae.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #70 
eaturbyfill

We have tried his treat, but they are freeze dried. There's mosquito larvae but not in clean enough water