Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #11 
norico

>>teeneythebetta

I am change in my mind now. Yes, true, they're tropical fish. I'll keep 78-80F forever. Right now, here is much hot, and I don't use heater untill October.

Thank you so much!!!
norico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #12 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by norico View Post
>>teeneythebetta

Thank you very much for your advice.
I see about Dechlorinator, it removes metals . I will find it.

Yes, red worms, I mean blood worms.WOW, I didn't know that it's Treats. My pet shop stuff recommend that.
I am thinking about feeds.

Thanks !
Don't listen to ANY advice a pet store gives. They give such bad advice, if you have any other care info they gave you, let us know and we can verify wether it is valid info or not. :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #13 
lelei

Hello and welcome, It is very interesting to hear that betta's here in U.S. live longer, I am fairly new to betta's but have learned a lot from this forum.

From everything already said by others and from what I learned I personally feel human interaction is key, as well as a bigger tank, big, leafy plants to hide in, and a dark cave for sleep and rest, and warm and clean water that a fish will thrive, our fishy, has grown and is always full of energy and spunk, and has a personality all his own, because I spend a lot of time getting to know him, and letting him get to know me, and watch all his antics, and that I feel does wonders to keep a fishy happy, along with great diet, pellets, and/or flakes and if you give frozen or Freeze dried bloodworms, and or brine shrimp as a treat only..

Keep the staple food such as pellets, (preferably a real good one) that boosts the color and energy) that your fishy will live a long and healthy life.

Some people will never realize what a Fish can offer as companiionship, as well as any other pet, you cannot hold it, or hug it, but you can talk to him, let him get to recognize your voice, and it will show, he will perfom tricks, and smile for you, and show you that you are doing a great job, at keeping him happy..It really makes a difference.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #14 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by norico View Post
>>teeneythebetta

I am change in my mind now. Yes, true, they're tropical fish. I'll keep 78-80F forever. Right now, here is much hot, and I don't use heater untill October.

Thank you so much!!!
Make sure you watch what temp it goes to at night, they get cooler at night. If you have a heater with a thermostat, you cab keep it in the tank all year long. If the temp is higher than what te heater is set to, it will turn itself off and if it gets below, it will heat until it gets to the right temp.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #15 
Aus

Quote:
Anyway, the pets shop staff recommend
"You have to salt in water tank"
One table spoon per one litter.
Noooo!

No salt in the water unless he is very sick!

And not a tablespoon! Per liter! That is a LOT of salt.

I think the pet store people in Japan are much like the pet store people in Australia and America...

A very good dechlorinator/conditioner is Seachem Prime. I use it on all my fish, it's very safe and cheap - I use 1 drop per liter, which is double dose no problems.

For food: Atison's Betta Pro, New Life Spectrum, Hikari pellets, HBH Betta Bites and Omega One Betta Buffet (flakes) are popular choices for high-protein foods.

Fruit fly & mosquito larva are good regular live foods. Worms, daphnia and brine shrimp should be fed more sparingly.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #16 
ao
TFK Moderator

My husband is in Tokyo too :)
but since tokyo's weather fluctuates a lot you should get at least a 20L tank and a heater. you can divide this tank between two small bettas.Or you can get a 40L and divide it between 4

A dechlorinator is something you put in water to get rid of Chlorine and Chloramine. Sometimes it will also neutralize other things such as Ammonia and heavy metals.

Hikari brand food comes from Japan I'm sure there are other pellet foods too. feed your fish two hikari biogold pellets two times a day. Ie: morning 2 pellets, night 2 pellets
Feed them worms once a week instead of pellets.
ie 2 worms in the morning, 2 worms at night.

And one day a week, feed then nothing.

Avoid salt in the water unless the fish is sick. The quantity shoud be Maximum 3 teaspoons/ 4L

Salt is bad for the fish and will cause kidney failure over time.

if your tank is 10L or less, change 50% of the water half way through the week, and 100% at the end of the week.
if it is in a 2L, change all the water every 2 days
if it is in a 1 L.... change everyday

when you change the water, make sure temperature is the same.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #17 
deso

Also, be careful with that heater. The one that I'm using, the Hydor Theo (adjustable with thermostat), heats my 7.6 litre tank up to 26 - 27 degrees Celsius, but the setting that I put it on says 24! You may have to spend a few days "calibrating", watching closely to make sure that the tank is being heated at the right temperature. Overheated and underheated bettas just aren't healthy.

And it's nice to see another Japanese person here, what a coincidence :) I'm only part-Japanese myself so I can't speak the language, unfortunately.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #18 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Don't listen to ANY advice a pet store gives. They give such bad advice, if you have any other care info they gave you, let us know and we can verify wether it is valid info or not. :)
Yeah, I understand. I stopped ask a pet store.
When I have some troble, I asked from here.

Thank you so much
Old 06-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #19 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Hello and welcome, It is very interesting to hear that betta's here in U.S. live longer, I am fairly new to betta's but have learned a lot from this forum.

From everything already said by others and from what I learned I personally feel human interaction is key, as well as a bigger tank, big, leafy plants to hide in, and a dark cave for sleep and rest, and warm and clean water that a fish will thrive, our fishy, has grown and is always full of energy and spunk, and has a personality all his own, because I spend a lot of time getting to know him, and letting him get to know me, and watch all his antics, and that I feel does wonders to keep a fishy happy, along with great diet, pellets, and/or flakes and if you give frozen or Freeze dried bloodworms, and or brine shrimp as a treat only..

Keep the staple food such as pellets, (preferably a real good one) that boosts the color and energy) that your fishy will live a long and healthy life.

Some people will never realize what a Fish can offer as companiionship, as well as any other pet, you cannot hold it, or hug it, but you can talk to him, let him get to recognize your voice, and it will show, he will perfom tricks, and smile for you, and show you that you are doing a great job, at keeping him happy..It really makes a difference.
Thank you for your advice.
My fish is really companionship. I always talk them.
They makes me really happy.
And I wouldl like to mekes them happy and long life.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #20 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Make sure you watch what temp it goes to at night, they get cooler at night. If you have a heater with a thermostat, you cab keep it in the tank all year long. If the temp is higher than what te heater is set to, it will turn itself off and if it gets below, it will heat until it gets to the right temp.
Yes, I have a hearter with a thermostat.
I cover the tank, adn keep warm and shut down noisy. Because my house is in the street. And I always cover only night. Then my room is warm, they are not cool at night now.

Of course I will keep and watch careful the tank of temputer then.