Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #51 
Aus

Yup, except for the substrate one, since it's all one topic, I think the thread would get a bit long otherwise..

Looking forward to the lights article, need to look into some alternates for bigger tanks..
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #52 
Mo

Hey kfryman. Are. You done with your portion of the substrate guide?
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #53 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Looking forward to the lights article, need to look into some alternates for bigger tanks..
What I use to light my big tanks-(55g and 75g)....For 48 inch light bulbs...I bought a couple of the shop light strips that cost under $10.00-they hold 2 tubes and these "Daylight" 48in 40w 6500k bulbs only cost $8.00 for 2 bulbs in the lighting section at walmart...Total cost under $20.00.

I placed metal rods on the ceiling over the tanks to suspend the shop lights with chains so that I can move them up and down-
This way I can work on the tanks without them getting in the way but still provide the light so I can see.

I would like to make a canopy for the 55gal-right now I am using foil to keep the glare down and provide some reflector to aim the light into the tank.

Whats neat about the shop lights too....you can paint them to match your decor if you don't have a canopy....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #54 
ravenwinds

OFL...glad to get someone else's opinions/expertise on shop lights! I have just decided that would be most economical way to get good lighting down to substrate in my 40g tank...it came w/ this weak 1bulb (fluorescent) light...with all my plants and IAL, most of the time it looks like an underwater image from the Louisiana bayou...very murky...definitely needs more light since I have some plants dying off *big sigh with growl at end* lol...

On another note, everyones section so far seems great. I am behind due to my grandfather's decline...family is getting together in California for one last goodbye...

If anyone wants to do my part, just let me know, otherwise it will be a couple of weeks before I get them up. We are all posting separate anyway, correct? If so, at least I am not holding everyone up...
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #55 
marktrc

What is used for covers or hoods? Fully covered so bettas don't jump out? Is there an advantage for plants or fish to having lowered water level and partial open? For a 55 gal or larger is better to get Two half cover/hoods if they are available.

Sorry if I'm not supposed to post here.
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #56 
Oldfishlady

I don't have a problem with my Bettas jumping out of my open top tanks...I have to top them off weekly due to evaporation-but otherwise they are filled to the top. A few of the tanks have two light strips that cover most of the top, I also have several with just one. I use lots of floating plants and they seem to help prevent the Bettas from jumping out of the tanks too-provides top cover to help them feel secure....

I don't like to use hood with my planted tanks-mainly due to light penetration...open top has worked best for me.
The one 10gal that I have to use the hood on-I removed the plastic partition and the door-its just the frame of the hood- so I could use two light strips.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote