Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #1 
LittleWatty

Planted Tank - Leaving for several days

I'm not sure if there's anything I need to do before leaving a planted tank for several days while I go spend time with my family on the other side of the state. There are no fish in it (as its trying to cycle), and the only source of ammonia will be from some decaying betta flakes that I put in there this morning (I'm leaving today). Also, should I leave my light on while I'm gone, as it doesn't get any natural sunlight? Or would it be better to leave it off?
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Too bad you did not have a timer, that would turn the light on and off for you... Is it anywhere near a room that gets light? I think it may also depend what plants you have and what level of light they need.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #3 
LittleWatty

Well, its too late now. But, no, its not anywhere that would get light. I don't have air conditioning, and my apartment gets VERY warm during the summer with high temps, so I left my blinds shut to keep it cooler in there. Most of the plants I have are low light, but I did get some Amazon Sword the other day. I think that's the only one with higher light requirements that I know of. I do have some aponogeton, onion, and waterlily in there though. But, they've done fine with little light since I've left them alone for a few days before.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Eh sorry no one replied in time :o

I like my low light plants for that reason hehe I have like...10 java ferns compared to the 1 I had. From the same plant... >.>
Old 06-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #5 
LittleWatty

XD I haven't had any of my plants growing to the point where I can/should split them, but I'm hoping I will one day. Then I might be able to plant a 20 gallon sorority that I want to get (eventually) without having to buy new plants :D
Old 06-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

That would be cool =D
Old 06-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #7 
laoshun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWatty View Post
XD I haven't had any of my plants growing to the point where I can/should split them, but I'm hoping I will one day. Then I might be able to plant a 20 gallon sorority that I want to get (eventually) without having to buy new plants :D
hornwort is perfect for plant reuse lol.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #8 
LittleWatty

And I'd love to get some Hornwort some day :D but, for now, I want to see if I can't handle the plants I already have XD

Turns out I have to leave my tanks again for even longer this coming weekend. So... if anyone has any tips for leaving planted tanks (with mostly low-light plants, but some higher light plants like Amazon Sword and Waterlily) unattended for several days, I'd love to hear them!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #9 
fishkid

Timers are the way to go. I have em on my tanks even when I'm home. Makes it much easier to control the photoperiod and make it regular.
fishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

XD timers are very useful. I left my tank on timer for 6 weeks during my last vacation (no fish!). plants took over :P
ao is offline   Reply With Quote