Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #1 
fishyinpa

Smile Barb tank

No is replying under their heading so I am gonna do it here lol. Seems a little more lively. I got my 55 tank up. Have always wanted cherry barbs, and saw the lfs near my folks got in ruby barbs. Considering making it mostly a tank of those type but wondering what other ones I could mix in with them. Definitely want some cory cats and maybe try a pl*co or 2 again.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #2 
mattoboy

You could do Barbs, guppies, ADF's, Cloud Minnows, or tetras :)
mattoboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Well first things first: we need to know how hard your local water is. All of the fish you are describing are soft water fish and won't show their best colors or live very long in hard water. You can often find your local water hardness online as many cities publish a local water quality report. Look for the GH, KH (carbonate hardness), and pH.

Unlike some barbs, ruby barbs are rather peaceful (if a little active) as long as they are kept in large groups (more than 7 individuals). They go well with other barbs, rasbora, loaches, and corydoras. Depending on the species of pleco, it could be a bad idea. The common pleco will get large enough to make a meal out of smaller fish (and it usually will try; they love sneaking up on little fish at night). Bristlenose pleco would be a much better idea. You have enough room for a male and two females and might even get them to breed.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #4 
fishyinpa

This is true! I forgot about checking the local water. I am in a different state now. I had bristlenose before, as I don't want a huge pleco lol. My sister had a common and it was humongous. I have my testing kit so I will do that and find out online too. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote