Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #1 
Nuts4Mutts

Thumbs up Awesome Pits!

The term "Pitbull" Is severely abused today. People see a dog that has a thick, square head, stalky build, or a 'bad temper' and automatically assume 'Oh that is a pit bull!' I have seen countless dogs get called 'pits' when they hadn't even the slightest drop of 'pit' in them!

I used to hate 'pitbulls' as well [I disgust myself with it!]. My dad always told me that even if they seem nice, they will always turn on you. I believed him for a very long time, especially since I knew a couple of really ferocious pits. I did some research on them though, learned that it is almost always the owners fault, not the dog. [If it's not the owners fault for an aggressive dog, then it's the genes of that dog... but that's still not the dog's fault!] Then I met some pits who were sweeties & so loyal!

Eventually I really wanted my own pit. A friends APBT just had some puppies [not sure what the dad was, probably lab/rottweiler/pit], so I was able to get one. Otto! He is probably the opposite of what I wanted in a dog.. I wanted a dog who would learn 'yes' from 'no' instantly, and who could learn trick after trick after trick and not get bored [my other dog, Shasta, is like that]; but oh no no no! I got Otto, he has had constant training by me & still only knows the basic commands...

Otto's not big on tricks, but my gosh is he loyal! I have never known a dog as young as him to be as loyal as he is.

Okay, enough rambling from me about my pitbull stories... I wanna hear some good stories from you guys!

One last thing, here's a couple pics of my 85-lbs-of-solid-muscle-lunkhead-pitty-Otto.
Nuts4Mutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #2 
Enkil

I have an American Bully pup named Fenris. ^_^

He is extremely loyal. Adores kids. Thinks with his tummy. XD
My 4 year old can do anything she wants to him (he's about 4 months old) and he just takes it. She's even had her hands in his mouth. He does not like it when children cry. This is the only time I have seen any sign of aggression from him. If he thinks that someone is hurting a child, he gets very stiff.
He is doing basic obedience training now and being trained to be my psychiatric service dog.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #3 
Nuts4Mutts

Wow! American Bully? Those guys are SO AWESOME!!! Hah... I wish Otto would be a bit more docile like yours is ;p he is busy busy busy busy busy. Always needs his mouth on something, so some people playing with him get all scared 'cause they think he's biting. He has always done it & we severely discourage it, but haven't found it to be 'aggressive' in ANY way. Best solution - stuff his dino toy, soccer ball, or a giant pinecone in his mouth, that always keeps him busy. Hah!

You will DEFINITELY have to post pics of your pup! I have only seen a few pics of Am Bullys... they are such beautiful dogs!

Are you gonna try to get him 'looking' all scary & such? [Spike collar, chain leash, etc] I think it's so funny how people react to Otto when I walk him with his 3-ft long chain leash [the links are HUGE on that thing! It weighs about 5lbs...]... they find out that he's a big baby doll & get a kick out of it usually, lol!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #4 
Enkil

I actually have a thread in this section with Updates on him and it has pis of him. ^_^

Right now, he rocks a Harley Davidson "Bad To The Bone" collar. Thinking about getting a leather Harley collar next time he needs a new one. Thinking about going with a chain leash just because of how he reacts when he thinks someone is hurting a child. He gets very stiff. At least until he learns his manners better.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

AWW! We got our first APBT from my dad's friend. His friend lived with his parents and although our dog never showed any agression, his parents were afraid of the dog and forced their son to make him live in one room. The only time he got to come out of the room was to go to the bathroom outside. :( My dad's friend didn't think it was fair to make him live that way and gave him to us.

He is now 14 years old. He has seen better days health wise, but he is still going strong :D

And here is our younger boy, hes 7 years old. Hes an APBT mixed with a staffy of some sort.

teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #6 
Nuts4Mutts

@teeny Oh wow! Your pibbles are so gorgeous! I LOVE the look of cropped ears! [Wanted to get Otto's cropped when he was a pup (also to keep the water out, he hangs in the rain for fun instead of sleeping in the doghouse... so he gets smelly wet ears) but I couldn't afford it & Mom doesn't like how they look, haha]

DeeOhJee's white tummy is so cute! And Malachi's color - one of my faves! Awesomeness!!!
Old 06-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts4Mutts View Post
@teeny Oh wow! Your pibbles are so gorgeous! I LOVE the look of cropped ears! [Wanted to get Otto's cropped when he was a pup (also to keep the water out, he hangs in the rain for fun instead of sleeping in the doghouse... so he gets smelly wet ears) but I couldn't afford it & Mom doesn't like how they look, haha]

DeeOhJee's white tummy is so cute! And Malachi's color - one of my faves! Awesomeness!!!
Haha thanks! Funny I like floppy ears better xD My dad had them done and malachi's ears were cropped when we got him :/
Old 06-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #8 
Nuts4Mutts

Aww, well, I also didn't beg mom too much to crop Otto's ears, because I thought "hm... what if Otto doesn't look good without ears?... then he can never have his flappers back!" Hahaha! It's kind of annoying though, so many people I talk to always say "Oh don't EVER crop your dogs ears! I would NEVER do it because it hurts them way too much!!!!!! And it will change their personality!" Then I kinda think... getting a dog fixed 'hurts' them, but they are just as sweet & happy a couple weeks later... and people do stupid things to themselves so they'll "look cool"... tattoos... body piercing... etc...

Ok done with rambling.

Do either of your pups know any tricks? Otto... tricks? Not a big fan, lol! He doesn't really like tricks much.... he does the basics really well, but those all took like a REALLY long time for him to learn [dumb dog took 3 solid months to learn lay down]
Old 06-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #9 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts4Mutts View Post
Aww, well, I also didn't beg mom too much to crop Otto's ears, because I thought "hm... what if Otto doesn't look good without ears?... then he can never have his flappers back!" Hahaha! It's kind of annoying though, so many people I talk to always say "Oh don't EVER crop your dogs ears! I would NEVER do it because it hurts them way too much!!!!!! And it will change their personality!" Then I kinda think... getting a dog fixed 'hurts' them, but they are just as sweet & happy a couple weeks later... and people do stupid things to themselves so they'll "look cool"... tattoos... body piercing... etc...

Ok done with rambling.

Do either of your pups know any tricks? Otto... tricks? Not a big fan, lol! He doesn't really like tricks much.... he does the basics really well, but those all took like a REALLY long time for him to learn [dumb dog took 3 solid months to learn lay down]
Haha! Yeah pit bulls are VERY stubborn. That said, they do know a few. They both know sit, lay down, shake and give me 10(they jump up and put their paws on my hands). Malachi knows speak but DeeOhJee never Learned it.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #10 
Nuts4Mutts

That's pretty good. Otto took forever to learn his stuff, but he does them pretty stable, even around other people/dogs. He just learned sit, lay down, heel, and he does a great 'wait' [I'll throw the ball & tell him to wait, he won't go after it till I say "okay!"]

My mutt, Shasta, on the other hand, has quite a few tricks up his sleeve. He won't behave around other dogs at all, but at home, I can get him to sit, lay, roll over, give paw, say bark, sneeze, circle, stretch, and he can jump over my leg. He learns tricks in a SNAP! I just wish he wouldn't get so moody around other dogs... he's kinda crabby...... He's a complete mutt though, even his grandma was a mutt. From seeing his parents/grandma/his personality, he is wolf, lab, [his dad was 1/2 wolf], hound of some sort, husky, border collie, and then probably a couple thousand more. Hahaha!~