Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #1 
labloverl

Should I divide it, or let him live alone?

I've had a male betta in a 10 gallon tank for about 5 months now. He practically ate the neons that were in there with him, including sucking the eyeballs off of one that was dying. The betta is completely fine though, and has been thriving. I don't really want just one fish in the tank, but obviously, small tetras aren't his companions lol. I know that snails and shrimp are good, but I'm not a fan of those. I've been considering dividing the tank and getting another male, but with the divider I have right now from petsmart, the water doesn't flow very well through it. I know that the sheets used to do needlepoint on have been recommended, but do they come in a size that would fit a 10 gallon?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #2 
Whittni

If the water won't flow well through it I see no reason to divide it, you could try one of those waterfall filters, but I've only seen them on large tanks, I'm sure they make tiny ones.
Whittni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #3 
labloverl

The tank lid only has an opening for a filter on one side, so only one fish would have the filter. I wish I could move it though.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You should double divide it since your boy is quite the terror.
(scroll down to see an example. I'll have to find the tutorial for you later if someone else doesn't have it but they are cheap and easy to make).
Sitting by the Koi Pond: My Tanks: an introduction
(these tanks belong to our user thekoimaiden)
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #5 
Sowman

Can you get a small underwater or submerged filter? I have my 10g divided and have a 10g filter on one side and a 5g submerged filter on the other.
Sowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #6 
labloverl

Thanks, Olympia! I wanted to double divide it, to keep the filter and heater in the middle, but again, the lid only allows the filter on one side. I guess that if I made a divider out of stuff that allowed good water flow, then I could still double divide it.

Sowman, I have a 1 gallon that came with a little air pump thing that was attached by a hose to a small blue filter that you stuck down a tube. There was a plastic platform that you put under the rocks, and the water was circulated that way. That's the best I can describe it. I never liked the air pump because it made so much noise and vibrated. Are submerged filters expensive?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #7 
labloverl

I do have this filter. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Whis...-1-ct/10291764

I could put this anywhere in the tank, right? Does it have to hang by the hook? It has suction cups on the back.

If I change to this filter, how do I do it without breaking the cycle? Would I just put it in there with the original one still working, and just let the new one get the bacteria?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #8 
djembekah

you can stick the internal filters to the wall by the suction cups yes :) that's what i did with my 40i for awhile. it started to fall a lot though so i put it on its hook. ALTHOUGH- i have a 3i in my 3 gallon tank, and it's just fine stuck by the suction cups.

i actually prefer them because of space xD i need to get that 2-10i for my 5 gallon tank.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:41 AM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

That Tetra Whisper sponge filter is very poorly designed. If you look inside, you'll see that the water flow does not actually pass over the filter material. I've modified mine so that it does. But, even then, I only use it to hold biomedia for cycling my tanks. Best thing I can say is that it isn't too obnoxiously loud.

Unless you're married to your current filter, I'd suggest getting a quality sponge filter and pump. Put it and your heater between two craft-mesh dividers. Evens out heat and filtration. Hard to jump over. Pour refill water in there for fast refills. Keeps surface quiet.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #10 
labloverl

Hallyx, what do you recommend? I don't know the difference between all of these filters lol. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to spend any more money on filters, so that's why I dug the tetra whisper filter out of my box of old filters. I figured that since it didn't have to hang over the back, that I could put it between two dividers, and everything would be perfect! The one I have now hangs over the back, and must stay on one side of the tank.