Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 01:15 AM   #1 
Nuts4Mutts

Question Water Cleaning?

Okay, I'm a brand new fish owner, only 15... I saved up like all my money to buy the bowl he's got right now =p

I was told that keeping a scum-eating snail in his bowl will keep it clean, then the owner showed me her betta-bowl with just a snail. She has never cleaned it and it is very very clean & the betta's very happy & healthy.

On the other hand, Someone on here told me to clean it twice a week... and that the snail will create more dirt, making it need to be cleaned once a day? I'm seeing changing water every day to be a little bit much, so I'm just curious one how often some of you change betta water?

I'm going to keep all recommendations in consideration =)

Thanks!

Nuts4Mutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #2 
teeneythebetta

Well if there were a little less gravel (and therefore more water) every other day would work.
That's why bigger tanks are easier to take care of, less water changes :)

Also- I would cover the top of your bowl (just make sure there are breathing holes) because bettas are known to jump out of their uncovered bowls/tanks.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #3 
Nuts4Mutts

Ohhh yes, I heard about my friend's betta who liked to jump.

I would use less gravel, but we had to put that much in to keep the bamboo from tipping over =\ [we started out with just a tiny bit of gravel... there was just the pink/orange pebbles, no blue... but the bamboo's shot glass kept on tipping over] So eventually I'm going to try & see if it's possible to trim bamboo, 'cause the middle stalk is like 3ft tall at least...

Thanks so much for the advice though! =)
Old 06-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #4 
lelei

That bamboo is a lil too big for that bowl..trim it, or just opt for a really small plant, which can sit in the gravel, then you can take out some of the gravel, and add more water. Yes, it is true to change water very often, especially a smaller amount will get dirty quickly..(water stagnates without oxygen) and you will see that w/in 2-3 days..it's icky:(
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
That bamboo is a lil too big for that bowl..trim it, or just opt for a really small plant, which can sit in the gravel, then you can take out some of the gravel, and add more water. Yes, it is true to change water very often, especially a smaller amount will get dirty quickly..(water stagnates without oxygen) and you will see that w/in 2-3 days..it's icky:(
+1 :)

I personally think a java fern would do good in there. They stay pretty small and are fairly slow growers. The only thing is- you have to buy some sort of decoration to tie it to until it wraps it's roots around it- java ferns will rot in substrate. Theyre very easy to take care of, and do not need direct light like most plants do.

Another plus to live plants is they help absorb ammonia :)
Old 06-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #6 
Nuts4Mutts

Thanks lelei. =)

[I genuinely appreciate your kindness, I'm sorry, but it ticks me off to have someone nagging/yelling at me because I'm not doing something right. Doesn't really make me wanna change either when I'm nagged at, lol! I'm so glad that you seem to understand that I'm genuinely a new owner & know next-to-nothing about these amazing fish]

I'm assuming also that I will be a much better fishkeeper with experience over just reading info right?
Old 06-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #7 
Kenny G

It looks nice Nuts. Great job and congrats on the new betta. Now regarding water changes there is something you can do to make life easier. I recommend getting a water container 1 gallon - 2.5 gallons depending on the size of your bowl and fill it up with water days before you do your water changes. This will save you a lot to time and fustration. I do that and pretreat the water with a conditioner. I would say change the water every 3 days and do it at 90%. Betta's start to have good bacteria in the tank/bowl that they need.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #8 
Nuts4Mutts

@Kenny: Yes, I keep a gallon of pre-treated water around so I don't need to hassle with it later, thank you for that wonderful tip! [just looking for a gallon container that's prettier than an old plastic milk jug right now, LOL! Who wants to see a gallon of milk sitting in their room? 0.o]
Old 06-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #9 
Kenny G

Thats easy just go to any department store like Walmarts, Target, K-Mart etc.....
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #10 
teeneythebetta

I use walmart spring water gallons..