Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #11 
deso

If those are planaria, they're a bit gross but harmless. Actually, I'm surprised he hasn't tried eating them yet. As Aus said, just keep the tank extremely clean and they'll go away in a few weeks.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:25 AM   #12 
LaLaLeyla

Most likely planaria. Harmless but annoying as hell. >.<
Try fasting your bettas for a few days. Hopefully the planaria will starve and die off.
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #13 
ao
TFK Moderator

planaria...? mine are in a jar with nothing but a scrap of susswassertang, snails and snail poop. they're thriving.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #14 
Shadyr

Well, they are tiny. Not sure if Chicory has even noticed them yet. Egads, do they get bigger?

Having glommed on to the microfauna in Chicory's tank, I looked *really close* at my others last night. Lavatail doesn't count, I removed him from the Tank of Ill Health and he's in a kritter keeper till I get a new tank. Nothing in there has had a *chance* to spawn!

Ghost's tank has some little white dots scooting around. Only saw a few - might those be water fleas? Are those anything to be concerned about?

Oddly, Indigo, whose tank had a nasty algae bloom and is still clearing up from that, didn't have any tiny friends, at least that I could find. Between lots of water changes and the new snail, the algae is disappearing fast.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #15 
Shadyr

Chicory is giving me his best "What the Hell" look as he sits in his cup temp adjusting to the critter keeper he's going on holiday in. Figured the best option was the low tech one, so he's coming home with me for the weekend and hopefully his little friends will croak while he is away.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #16 
ZackyBear

If they are harmles I'd say let your boy snack on them :3 If they ARE harmless, nuke your tank by moving your boy and killing the nematodes with AQ salt, then letting your tank sit in untreated water for a little while :o
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #17 
Shadyr

They DO look more like the pictures of nematodes, but the treatment was the same: remove their food source and starve them.

I have not actually seen any of them ON chicory, but since there are parasitic kinds, I'll watch for any in his critter keeper and keep it pretty much bare except for a cave and one of my plants from home that is now going on three weeks in QT with no signs of extraneous life.

I would assume if I do see some on him or in poop, epsom salt?
Old 06-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #18 
ZackyBear

Yep~ Esposm Salt (1tsp per gal). I wonder if the heat treatment for ick would work the same way if they end up on him?
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #19 
Shadyr

GAH, I think it's a hookworm (anchorworm?) :(

Found one hanging on his side, and the scale there looks puffyish. Doing 100% water change now. I'm not reading anything good on this, what's the best way to get rid of it?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #20 
Shadyr

Now with picture. Damn hard to see from most angles. I couldn't get hold of the damn thing with my tweezers, even tho Chicory was being about as co-operative as a fish in 1" of water in a cup can be. He's back in his tank with AQ salt for now. Poor guy, he looks pale today I'm leaving for a week vacation come the 30th, I need to kill this thing FAST. I'm not comfortable leaving the treatment or responsibility of treating by little guys on someone else.

Name:  hookworm.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  41.1 KB