Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #11 
kfish

It's fine to have a filter in a 3 gallon! The tank is big enough that it's not taking up too much space, and it'll make your life a little easier. The reason people say that is because they're under the impression that you can't cycle anything smaller than 5 gallons, but that's not -completely- true. You'll be able to have a mini-cycle in the tank, so after a month or two there will be less ammonia/nitrite in your tank, but it may not cycle completely like a larger filter would allow (the limitation is that there isn't enough surface area for the bacteria... but some people have managed to get one gallon bowls to cycle). So you'll still have ammonia that you'll need to remove, whereas a full cycle would eliminate it completely.

You should be able to do 2-3 50% water changes a week (just use an airline tube for a siphon), and vacuum the substrate once every week or two since you don't have plants. Once you get plants, you don't need to do a deep substrate vacuum- just do the surface once a month. After a few weeks, you're probably going to have to start doing 3 changes consistently every week (maybe even four sometimes), but it'll level off after a little bit of bacteria gets established.

The only way to really know your water change schedule for sure is to test the water because every tank is different, but there are general guidelines.

If you get live plants, you won't have to worry about water quality much at all. They help a lot. You'd still have to change water (probably 1-2 50% a week), but they lighten the load.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #12 
LizzyP

Here's another thing that I probably should've added. My heater doesn't have a thermostat? It's just like a little wand kinda thing that sticks to the side of the tank. Should I have gotten one with a thermostat on it? And where can I get one rated for a 3 gallon tank? I can get the water tempature up by turning a lamp on beside his tank but then I have to turn it off to sleep at night.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #13 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
Here's another thing that I probably should've added. My heater doesn't have a thermostat? It's just like a little wand kinda thing that sticks to the side of the tank. Should I have gotten one with a thermostat on it? And where can I get one rated for a 3 gallon tank? I can get the water tempature up by turning a lamp on beside his tank but then I have to turn it off to sleep at night.
Yeah a thermostat is a must. I bought a via aqua quartz glass heater w/ thermostat on amazon. I got the higher wattage one but you would want this one, it's on sale for just under $11. It's a great heater and you can't get a better sale price! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ce-full-site=1
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
You'll be able to have a mini-cycle in the tank, so after a month or two there will be less ammonia/nitrite in your tank, but it may not cycle completely like a larger filter would allow (the limitation is that there isn't enough surface area for the bacteria... but some people have managed to get one gallon bowls to cycle).
Not all people are under the impression you can't cycle anything under 5....Actually other then this site practically recommends 5-10 per betta Over kill.

The only problem with cycling anything under 5, is the fact the cycle is very, very unstable, and it ends up being a pain in the butt more than helpful (Can you tell I've been on this site too long? lol) it is possible... As for me, I jsut do my every other day cleaning for 1 gallons, and twice weekly for 3's... =D Guess it's really up to the individual ^^

And yes, pictures when he is feeling better would be coooool =D
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #15 
LizzyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Yeah a thermostat is a must. I bought a via aqua quartz glass heater w/ thermostat on amazon. I got the higher wattage one but you would want this one, it's on sale for just under $11. It's a great heater and you can't get a better sale price! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ce-full-site=1
Would this be suitable for a 3 gallon tank? Last thing I want is to fry my little guy.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

If it is adjustable, I'd say so.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #17 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Would this be suitable for a 3 gallon tank? Last thing I want is to fry my little guy.
Yes but I'd definitely remove him when heating and make sure you have a thermometer. More than likely you will have to set it at a lower temp when it actually will be eating to a higher temp. Not sure if you knew that so thought I'd throw it out there
Old 06-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #18 
LizzyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Yes but I'd definitely remove him when heating and make sure you have a thermometer. More than likely you will have to set it at a lower temp when it actually will be eating to a higher temp. Not sure if you knew that so thought I'd throw it out there
So I should take him out, wait for it to heat, and then I get lost. Set it to a slightly lower tempature so it heats over that?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #19 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
So I should take him out, wait for it to heat, and then I get lost. Set it to a slightly lower tempature so it heats over that?
Some people's heaters will heat a few degrees different than they're set to. In example, sometimes if you set the heater to say 76 degrees, it may actually be heating to 78 degrees. So if you want your tank at 80, try putting it at 78 and wait awhile then check the thermometer. If it heats exactly what you set it to, you can put it at 80. Do you understand what I'm saying?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #20 
LizzyP

Yes, that makes sense. My thermometer is the kind you stick on the outside of the tank, is that sufficient or should I find one that sits in the water?

Tags
appearance, fin damage, healthy betta