Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #1 
Enkil

Fenris - Updates

Fenris is getting so big now! Last time I measured him, he was standing at 13.5 inches at the shoulder and that was a few weeks ago! All his sibblings are shorter (more around 11 inches).

His training:
He sits on command instantly! Such a good pup. He learned this one very quickly. Within an hour. We practice it several times a day to keep him up on it and use it with teaching other commands.
Fenris has also learned to lay down on command. This one took a bit more time, but he is very good about it now.
He is now learning the following commands: leave it, off, stay, wait.
We are also working on his leash manners. So far, with just an ordinary collar and leash. I am using several techniques to teach him proper manners. However, I am always open to input on training methods as every dog is unique.

He is, of course, up to date on his shots. He got his rabies this past week. Next month we plan on taking him in to be neutered. He will be so long as he is not allergic to the anesthesia. He will also be micro-chipped at that time.

I do plan on entering him into an obedience class. Looking out for ones that administer the Canine Good Citizen Test at the end. After that, I will be ordering his vest and he will start his public access training.

If anyone is interested in pictures of him, I have plenty. XD He is too cute not to take pics of.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #2 
starrlamia

sounds like you both are off to a great start! I just wanted to say thanks for being such an amazing dog owner :) It's refreshing to see someone who is taking such a big interest in their dogs training!

I really like using this clicker technique for loose leash walking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgtqgiAKoQ

Your post is no good without pictures, you must share some!
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #3 
Enkil

Thank you. ^_^ I love my pup. He's such a big help already.

How he helps already:
- Fenris wakes me from my flashback nightmares. This is very helpful and I didn't even have to train him to do it! He's been doing this since he was about 8 weeks old.
- Alerts to my impending panic attacks. Started to do this with no training.
- Helps snap me out of flashbacks. Started doing this with no training.

And of course some pictures are attached. Fenris is a 4 month old American bully.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2012, 02:14 AM   #4 
Enkil

Note: The hand he is licking is that of my 4 year old daughter. He lets her do anything to him. She can even put her hands in his mouth. He's a real good pup.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #5 
starrlamia

aww he is getting so big already! And what a smart little guy, sounds like you really lucked out with him!
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #6 
Enkil

Thank you. I told them what I was looking for and they suggested him. I'm very glad they did. There are shows now that you can enter altered dogs into. Thinking about maybe doing that with him as he stacks himself about 90% of the time when he stops walking.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #7 
Laki

Wow! He's such a good dog! And he's as beautiful as ever!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #8 
Curlyfatbottom

4 month and he's already 13.5"
That's 1.5" shy for being a pocket
He's still have 4 more month to grow in height
If your going to crop the ear
U should do it soon
Yeah how high is fenris food bowl for the ground????
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:05 AM   #9 
Enkil

He's a pocket now. He is the tallest pup from the litter. His father stands at 15 1/2 and his mother at 15. However, his grandfather is an XL.

I don't think I will be cropping his ears. I have thought about it from time to time. I see no real reason to. Since he will be altered, he can't be a show dog. Not being a show dog, there is no real reason to crop his ears. Besides, his ears are cute and he uses them to be quite expressive.

His food bowl height varies depending on if he knocks it over or not. He seems to enjoy knocking it over to then lay down and eat off the floor. Why?

Fenris was at the vet last week. They say that everything is fine with him. Growing well and properly. He got his rabies and a booster. Now just waiting a month to take him back in for blood testing so he can then be neutered. After that, I am thinking about getting him his first vest.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #10 
Laki

Things are changing.. At least in Canada. Recently the laws changed that no dog can be docked or cropped in my province!! This means that show standards are changing in the NKC (newfoundland kennel club) to allow non-docked/cropped dogs. No vets are legally allowed to perform it and no dogs are allowed to be sent out of province to have the procedure done. Only puppies or adopted dogs ALREADY done outide my province are allowed in, not the other way around. I was SO happy!!
I mean obv if there's a medical issue with infection or something a vet can remove the tail (as what happens a lot when hunters try to dock beagles tails with elastic bands) Anyway! Sorry for diverting your thread with this news! lol I'm just really glad Fenris will stay cute and floppy :)
Never really liked cropped ears on bullies anyway.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote