Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #1 
xCrimson52

Is this fin rot ? D:

Hello Everyone! This site is really helpful :3 So we recently got a betta 3 days ago( Crimson, our first pet!), and we're trying really hard to take care of him. But today I've noticed that his fins are starting to ..spread apart. It feels like its getting worse and theres more frays :/..I'm not sure if it is fin rot, since some websites say there should be black edges but there aren't any. Just his fins spreading apart.. Can you guys check? If so, should I get aq. salt or something? Just in case, since I'm worried for him! Dx
Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 Gallon (From a Betta starter kit)
What temperature is your tank? 72 F.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?No
Is your tank heated?no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Just changed 25% of the water yesterday since I noticed it was cloudy
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? just conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Nope...

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Today I noticed him resting on the bottom more... maybe its normal?
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Fins spreading apart since yesterday D:
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet...
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that I know of..
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure.. 3 days out of the pet shop...

Here's his picture, kinda blurry but I hope you can tell..

Thanks for helping > <!
xCrimson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

If it's Fin Rot, the Size of his Fins would get smaller. If I were you, I would up my Water Changes to 100% every other day. Get a Heater and a Temperature to at LEAST 74F. He's probably at the bottom because he's too cold. I hope Crimson gets better. If you want to, you could also upgrade his Tank to a 2.5 Gallon at least.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #3 
xCrimson52

Ahh I see : D Thank you so much! I wasn't sure what it was so I was worried. Will try to follow your advice and hopefully he gets better ^^
Old 06-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #4 
laoshun

just to be sure, does it look like his fins are glued together?
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #5 
xCrimson52

Well, it doesn't look like it, its just his fins are getting more jagged.. I wasn't sure what was happening so I thought it could be fin rot...^^;;; my bad
Old 06-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #6 
acadialover

I think he is probably COLD.... brrr....
I would get a heater asap
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #7 
Aus

My bet is that he's tearing them on that plastic plant.. No offence to you, but those 'betta kits' are horrible.

Try removing the plant. In that size tank, you'll need to change his water every 2 days. He should heal up in no time, as long as you keep up the water changes religiously - in half a gallon, ammonia builds up really quick and that's what will mess him up...

Heating a half gallon is a bit of a nightmare, too. A generic three gallon plastic tank and a small adjustable heater will set you back maybe $25.. it'd really be worth supersizing the tank. Grab him a bit of java moss while you're there, it helps keep ammonia down between changes and gives him a place to hide in when he needs it, cuts down on stress.

$25 spent now will save you the cost of a lot expensive meds later on..
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #8 
xCrimson52

mm.. is he really tearing them on the plant? I did a 100% water change yesterday and the plant wasn't sharp or pokey..the jagged edges are on the top of his fin.. yeah its been hard trying to warm up his tank Dx He seems to be fine though.. just today he was a bit hyper and swimming against the walls after feeding him :o
..Well I guess the best way to solve this is to just upgrade as you said to eliminate all the problems x: thanks!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #9 
Aus

Here's a test.. get some nylon stocking and run it all over the plant. If it catches, it's probably going to tear his fins.

Silk plants are a good alternative, I have several for one of my bettas and he loves them.

I can't see any rot on his fins, so warm clean water and food and no sharp plants ought to have his fins heal up in no time.

(He's a lovely fish. I am very fond of red veiltails!)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #10 
lelei

Treating fin Rot

Your fishy looks healthy,, yea, finrot would be black and rotted edges, your fishy's fins look full and healthy.. I am treating a fishy for fin rot..
First pic, is when he was in AQ salt treatment for the 2nd day..not much improvement..then in the 2nd pic..taken tonight, he's on 3rd day of salt treatment..and his fins are opening and filling out.. I am quite amazed!!!
if your fishy is ripping his fins, it's the plant, over flaring
Attached Images

lelei is offline   Reply With Quote