Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #1 
Pucky21811

What was your schooling experience like?

Hello Everybody! Again...

1. What are the characteristics of an educated person?

2. What are the characteristics of an educated community?

3. What should be the principles of public education?

(Please also include any of the above and the following you're comfortable with. The following questions are being asked because I need as much as a variety of differences represented as possible. If you don't want to, or can't share, just put N/A)
Race/Ethnic Group you most associate with:
Anything else you want to share about your education (K-12):

HEY EVERYBODY! It's me again, and this time I have a few different questions than before, but they are essentially the same thing.

I am taking summer courses for my Childhood Education/Special Education major and I am on the second class now. I asked questions similar to this over my first class, and now I have these questions to ask different people, and then write a paper on my findings. I want HONESTY please! If your education experience sucked, please tell me. And if it didn't and you really have no complaints, PLEASE share that too!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Pucky
Pucky21811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #2 
Pasqua

Hey Pucky, I live in Australia (and completed all my school years here), did you still want my response? I am not sure if it would count or not for your assignment =P
Pasqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #3 
Pucky21811

Yes ill take any all.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:03 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

Hello Everybody! Again...

They should have a basic knowledge of math, science, history, ect. However I find it distrubing that many HS grads can't point to their state capital on a map.

To make sure all graduating seniors can read, write, add, subtract, find their hometown on a map and can be productive members of society. Either educate them so they can be successful in college or give them the skills they need to join the workforce. Having the main goal of having every student pass a standardized subject test, like the NY regents exams, is just plain stupid. Especially if, even if you fail all year long and pass the exam with a 67 in math, you pass the class but if you pass the class all year with a 90 and fail the stupid exam you fail the class, is not fair. Unless things have changed since I graduated in 1997. Not everyone is a good test taker and one dumb test should not be the determing factor of weather you pass or fail.

(Please also include any of the above and the following you're comfortable with. The following questions are being asked because I need as much as a variety of differences represented as possible. If you don't want to, or can't share, just put N/A)
Religious Affiliation: non caring catholic
Race/Ethnic Group you most associate with: white
Anything else you want to share about your education (K-12): I hated HS with a PASSION. Certain people got away with murder simply because their parents worked for the school or in admin for the school
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #5 
Pasqua

I would expect an educated person to have a general knowedge of the way things work in the world and be able to think logically. As a minimum, an educated person would need to be able to read and write, know correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. They would be able to calculate basic maths problems in their head (and by basic I mean addition and subtraction of up to three digits, multiplication tables up to 12, and be able to take a word problem and translate it into a maths equation and then solve it - you know those ones they used to make you do alll the time?). They would also have a knwoledge, or at least awareness of major events in history.

Thats a hard one to answer =S
I suppose the easiest way to measure this would be a high literacy rate. I would also expect that a high percentage of the population (more people than less) would have completed the mandatory years of schooling. I guess an 'educated' community would also involve most the citizens in regular paid work of some sort. I know this is a bit of a stereotype but to me, to have a community of people who primarilly do not have a job tells me that they are somewhat uneducated. (obviously this doesn't apply to say a retirement community =P). This statement is based on the local community around me and what I have observed from it. I do not mean to stereotype or prejudice in anyway (and excuse me if I have offended), it is just my opinion in what I have observed.

No child is left behind.
I have seen kids reach high schools who cannot read or write. How is it that the system allows a child to work their way up through primary school (I suppose thats elementary school in the US?) without teaching them to read?!? It truly amazes me. And I am not saying it is the teachers fault, I am talking about the system in general. This is not one isolated case, I know of many cases where this has happened and think there should be more assistance for children who need extra help and keep getting left behind in class.
Other than that, a basic knowledge of everything would be great!! Literature, maths, science, history, arts (visual and music). I believe school should be a place where a child is exposed to absolutely everything, so that they can firstly learn to appreciate it all and secondly decide which path they want to persue with their further studies and career. =) I also think public education (or education in general) plays a very important role in teaching kids the basics of how society works. Things like, things aren't always fair. Sometimes the big guy will always win no matter how wrong he is. Sometimes people don't like you, or you have to work with people that you don't like. All those little things that prepare you for the real world.

Religious Affiliation: not religious
Race/Ethnic Group you most associate with: aussie/asian (aussie born, parents from Cambodia)
Anything else you want to share about your education (K-12): I never went to a public school. My schools were all religious... excuse my ignorance but I am not exacly sure what they were (they never told us we went to an anglican school or a catholic school or whatever else so I am not exacly sure what they would be categorised as). I have had different religious influences my whole life, buddhism from my parents, and christian influences from school. Neither ever really stuck. As a child I never believed in Santa. I didn't always get christmas presents for that matter but my parents never bothered with the whole pretend game of santa is coming. The easiest way to explain my views on religion (and once again I do not mean to offend anyone) is that jesus and god and the bible were just another story. And I accepted that everyone has different believes, and I learnt all the stories and attended church and all that with school but it was never a faith to me. Sorry that was a bit of a ramble, I just meant to add to question 3 to say that that was my view but I did not have personal experience with public education =P.

Oh. And Also, no one ever at any point of my schooling life taught me how to properly care for fish!! good thing we have internet now ;)
Pasqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #6 
Pucky21811

Wow thank you Tikibirds and Pasqua what a huge help! I got enough warning on this assignment and I need oodles more! My assignment is 6-8 people to interview.

I agree Pasqua no one in my schools taught me how to care for fishies either. Thank goodness for Internet on so many levels. I wouldn't have been able to do this (wonderful) assignment without it! :)
Thank you and like I said MORE IS WELCOME :D
Old 06-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #7 
Pucky21811

2-4 more willing volunteers would make a huge difference! Thank you so much in advance!
-Pucky
Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #8 
Pucky21811

Alrighty thanks to all who answered! Starting this Wednesday I'm going to be getting ahead and starting my paper. I can take answers up until that afternoon. THANK YOU :D (ive gotten a few messaged answers if anyone would prefer that) :)

-Pucky
Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #9 
dbooknook

The characteristics of an educated person are literacy, the abillity to preform simple mathematics, abillity to write a short paper, and be somewhat independent.
The characteristics of an educated community should be the people should read at a comfortable level, do simple mathematics, and be able to write a short paper.
The principles of education should be everyone should be able to learn, don't give up on the student easily, and make sure to be fair to the students.

Religious Affiliation:N/A
Race/Ethnic Group you most associate with:
Half Turkish and a bunch of other things.
Anything else you want to share about your education (K-12):
dbooknook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #10 
deso

Literacy and a good general knowledge of maths, literature, geography, sciences, music, politics and historical events. An awareness of current events worldwide is a must as well.
People in an educated community should be able to live and work together regardless of age, social class, political and religious affiliation or race. Hatred and fear of those different from you is born purely out of ignorance.
Public education should provide most skills necessary for success in later life at a fair price. More of a country/state's budget should be spent on public education because the children of today will run the country of tomorrow. Professors should be from various backgrounds and be open to helping their students learn as much as possible.

Religious Affiliation: Atheist, raised in Protestant and Russian Orthodox household
Race/Ethnic Group you most associate with: American-born, Asian and White
Anything else you want to share about your education (K-12): I have only attended private schools so my opinions may be biased. My elementary school was the most wonderful, nurturing place. We were educated in everything from the basic school curriculum to classical music, French language and world cultures. Middle and high school were nothing short of a living h***. It was a negative environment, we were made to attend an on-campus church (with no consideration for religions other than Christianity) twice a week for two hours at a time, and bullying, drug abuse and racist comments were rampant. If it gives you an idea, our physical education course taught the boys water polo and the girls synchronised swimming. The school's entire budget went into its sports teams and let its music and art departments fall into disrepair. The only saving grace about the school were its brilliant teachers.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote