Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #1 
LizzyP

How's he looking?

Hi, guys.

Dumbledore is my new betta, I got him Monday night and seems to e enjoying his new home. However, I got him from Walmart before I knew what fin rot was, and other nasty diseases. I went to Petsmart today and talked to the fish woman and she suggested just dropped fungus killer tabs with antibiotics in it just to be safe. Well now I'm wondering if he even needs him. I have a picture, sorry its kinda blurred, he's camera shy. Can you guys take a look and give me some tips on improving/maintaining his current condition? Thanks :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #2 
Shadyr

Clean stillish water, changed often, at the right temperature (upper 70's) is a good start. He looks clamped for sure, but I don't see anything overtly wrong with him. Hope he perks up for you.

And I also would not medicate absent anything specific to treat.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #3 
kfish

He's clamped- most likely because of stress, poor water quality, or being cold. He looks healthy, other than being clamped, which isn't a direct sign of illness. However, if he remains stressed or cold for a while, he will get sick. I agree with everything Shadyr said. :) Definitely don't medicate unless you know what's wrong or that there's something wrong.

If he's still clamped (clamped means his fins aren't spread out):

-Make sure the water temperature is between 78 and 84 degrees Fahrenheit.

-Make sure he has places to hide. If you're in a bind for something for him to hide in, rinse out a glazed porcelain coffee or tea mug very well with very warm/hot water (no soap, the idea is to remove any residual soap) and put that in there so he can hide in it. You can also turn out the light so he's more relaxed.

-Depending on size of tank/whether or not you have a filter/live plants, make sure you're doing enough water changes. If you need specifics about how often you should, reply back with that information and we can give you an estimate.

-If you have a filter, make sure the current isn't strong. He should be able to swim effortlessly without being jostled by it. To reduce filter current in my waterfall filter, I rubberband Fluval (or some other brand) filter sponge around the filter outtake, but it depends what kind of filter you have. This is what I mean:

I got Mr. Fish from Wal-Mart and he was in pretty bad shape (he'd been in a fight and lost most of his fins), but he lived a good life! He looked a lot like your new betta after his fins grew back.

Last edited by kfish; 06-21-2012 at 04:59 PM.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #4 
LizzyP

I do have a filter, it is set on the lowest setting and it doesn't seem to bother him, it doesn't move the water much. His tank is a 3 gallon, I know I've heard some people say they don't need a filter for under 5 gallons, but the tank came with it so I decided to try it. He does have a hideaway log which he seems to enjoy and I would like to get some live plants also. How long should I wait until I turn up the tempature for his water? I haven't had him a week yet, should I give him time to settle in and get used to his new home?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
I do have a filter, it is set on the lowest setting and it doesn't seem to bother him, it doesn't move the water much. His tank is a 3 gallon, I know I've heard some people say they don't need a filter for under 5 gallons, but the tank came with it so I decided to try it. He does have a hideaway log which he seems to enjoy and I would like to get some live plants also. How long should I wait until I turn up the tempature for his water? I haven't had him a week yet, should I give him time to settle in and get used to his new home?
Technically he should have that temp wether he is sick or not. I would put him in the cup you got him in or a baggie, sit him aside and heat the tank. Once the tank is at a stable temp, float his cup/baggie in the heated tank for 30-60 minutes then release him. I personally keep my tank at 80 degrees.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

I find when I add (acclimate) a new betta to nice warm water (78-80) they tend to imrpove in color, health, and over al appearance a lot faster. Like Teeney said, he should always have the temperature (asides from fungal infections, which I highly doubt your betta has!)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #7 
LizzyP

His tank is heated already, it's sitting at 74-76 degrees. What I was asking is if he is still clamped in a couple days time, should I turn the tempature, or should I do it now?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
His tank is heated already, it's sitting at 74-76 degrees. What I was asking is if he is still clamped in a couple days time, should I turn the tempature, or should I do it now?
Now would be best :)
Old 06-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Just put your heater at 78, and it should regulate itself without harming him =D He will probably unclamp. Being in warm water now, he'll feel pretty good.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #10 
teeneythebetta

I'd love to see the pics of him once he's doing better :) I bet he will be even more handsome ;)

Tags
appearance, fin damage, healthy betta