Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #1 
heathers50

Help with sick fish

I bought this fish about 2 months ago from Walmart for my daughter. She keeps it in her room and was told to change the water about every 3-5 days. Well, she left for vacation to her dad's and i went to get the fish to bring it to our bedroom and feel so sad. The name is Sparky, he/she has clearly lost its spark. I have no clue what to do with it but i did buy some betta revive and have taken him out of the 1.5G filtered tank and placed him in a tupperware dish. Its the easiest way i've found to measure out the 16 oz of fluid needed for one drop of betta revive. I've treated him twice now, this is the second night. It may be all for not however, i'm at least trying to save the fish. I feel super bad. Can you help? I should note that his body has always been the white color but his fins used to be teal and then red at the ends.. you can kind of tell.
Attached Images

heathers50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #2 
lelei

Hello and Welcome, first of all, Betta's need heaters, he may be cold, temp should be 78-79degrees, and a 1.5 gal tank, should be cleaned at least 3x a week, not every 3-5 days, and depending on what kind of food he is being fed, or how often, that may be the problem, do you know what kind of food he is being fed, and how often, he has a lil fin rot, which has be treated with Aquarium salt, only 1tsp per gal, so if he is in a small amount of water, you may want to treat him in a 1.75 gal Kritter keeper, with clean, very clean water, and the salt treatment for 3 days, and give him betta pellets, preferably the Hakari Gold, not flakes..or New Life spectrum is great to get the energy level up..start there, and give it 24-48 hrs, and keep us posted, Good luck, also in that size of tank, a filter is not necessary..but frequent water changes are.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #3 
lelei

Also when performing water changes, try to do 2- 50% then a full 100% and use a water conditioner, are you using one? that is also very important for betta's health.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #4 
heathers50

the problem i have is i have no clue what she's been doing with the fish. we do have the tetra bettasafe that she was supposed to be using. she was supposed to be alternating bloodworms and then flakes every other day.. so basically skipping one full day with no feeding.

my problem with sparky now is that he isnt active, like at all. he's been laying at the bottom of the tank looking like death. he's been laying on his side. uninterested in food or coming to the surface. the only time he swims is when you jar the tank or put something in like you're going to touch him.

now as of about fifteen minutes ago he was resting near the top of the water, vertically tailfins down but not at the surface to breathe. i put two bw's in the tank to see if he eats one or both as i havent seen him eat since she left on the 4th.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #5 
heathers50

this is sort of what sparky looked like when we first got him. his body never had blue on it, always pale white.. but the coloring is pretty spot on. a bit less fin.

he looks like death, i feel like crap. i have not been conditioning the 100% changes i've been doing daily for the past two days.. two reasons. a.) i dont know how much to put in 16oz of fluid and the other is because i dont know if you can use betta revive and water conditioner together without messing up his system even more.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #6 
lelei

Bloodworms, if Freezedried are not a good part of a regular diet, It would be better to feed pellets, they have more nutrition, and should be fed everyday, flakes just don't have enough nutrition, and Freezedried Bw's cause bloat, they should only be given as a treat, but If you start by getting some pellets that may help, also keep him in clean water, for right now he may refuse food, but you will have to keep trying, that will help him get some energy, if you have acess to a Petco, or Petsmart pick up some Aquarium salt, and try salt treatment, and better food, I had a fishy that I treated with salt for 3 days, and looked like that, and he did great, keep him warm and comfortable, and hopefully he will come around.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #7 
lelei

I am not sure about the Betta Revive, just do the first 2 things, with the salt treatment, and and yes, with water conditioner, that is a must, just keep cleaning the water every day, add the water conditioner, and the best betta pellets you can..he needs warmth, and high quality diet.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #8 
lelei

Try to get the Kritter keeper, premix the water with the water conditioner, and AQ salt, let sit, and carefully get your betta in the (what we call a Hospital tank, to treat him,) if you try to do it in a small container like that, it may not be as good, he is a gorgeous fishy..I sure hope he recovers:)
Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #9 
heathers50

me too, thank you so much for all of the help. i'll update as things go along.