Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #1 
ExplicitTyro

Betta Sex?

Hi guys, this is my first post, and I know that usually one's first post is an introductory post; however, I cannot stress how anxious I am to sex my new "baby" betta from petco. My mom saw them and thought that they were pretty cute so she got one for me.

I've done a bit of research online, and to me, (nooby eye) this is a double tail betta?
I also think its male since there is no "vent" or white spot on the bottom as there are with female bettas.
I also SHOULD be able to care for it since I have 2 dwarf puffers,african butterfly fish etc, but if there is anything i should need to know please tell me (i've read a few posts about baby bettas and i need to keep the water quality up and hikari baby pellets but maybe that VVV will work?)! :D
I plan on feeding him/her crushed betta pellets or chopped blood worms.
I've attached several pictures, he's/she's a pretty little fella ain't it!?

if you need more pictures, just ask!

pst. i didn't know if this was the right section to post this or not
Attached Images

ExplicitTyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #2 
RedBandedPandaaFish

Wow she's adorable ^^ I have a feeling that it's a female, considering she has no beard like males normally do, and her fins look a lot like other females in pictures I've seen (I have none, only boys x) Not only that, but she isn't very brightly colored like males are. Pet stores usually sell their bettas at about six months, but, I'm not sure. About the spot, if she's young I think it doesn't show up for a few weeks or something like that. Oooh, but yeah, that's a double tail. I've always wanted one! Good luck with her, I'm no expert so I'm going off of instinct and supported guesses. For now I'd go with female ^^
RedBandedPandaaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #3 
ExplicitTyro

Thanks! Kind of hoping for male since its my first, but hey, you get what you get; maybe this will be the first female to have long flowing fins? ^_^
Old 06-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #4 
ExplicitTyro

bump
Old 06-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Can you get the baby to flare?
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #6 
ExplicitTyro

Yes, "IT" is able to flare, by that I mean, when I put the mirror in front of it, its gills expand.

Sorry for being so impatient with that bump!
Old 06-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

lol can you take a picture of the flaring? :p The body reminds me of little Admiral, who was very small. But was a male 100%.The ventrals seem a lot more thick, then a females, but then again I have had some "manly" gals. The body is not as rounded as some females, a bit more streamlined.

Baby bettas can range from 2-4 months, usually. And at that age are hard to sex, or next too impossible. Mine is 1.5 months old, (picture shown)

Second picture is Meagan, a female VT. Just to compare, although she is an adult and much bigger.
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #8 
ExplicitTyro

After ~30 mins, i finally got a few good pictures.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #9 
teeneythebetta

It looks like he has a beard.. But it's kinda hard to tell. Did it look like this? If so it's male.

teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #10 
teeneythebetta

BTW if you need any help with his care or anything, ask away :) I personally RECCOMEND a 2.5 gallon or more tank heated to 78-80 degrees for a Betta. I'm sure you're experienced with ammonia levels, nitrite and nitrate levels so I won't get into that :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote