Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #1 
Aus

Plants to Avoid in Your Betta Tank

Next time you go to the local fish store (LFS) or pet shop in search of plants for your betta tank, take a moment to see how many of the plants described below are sold as true aquatic plants. Ask the staff whether these plants will survive well and grow underwater…

My bet is that you’ll get the sales pitch, “Oh sure, they’ll be fine,” in which case you’ll know the staff know nothing about aquarium plants or simply wish to make a sale and don’t care.

Or, if it’s an excellent store, the staff will be honest and tell you: these plants are not intended for submerged growth and will sooner or later die, polluting your tank and potentially leading to ammonia spikes from rotting leaves - and maybe even deaths in the tank.

True aquatic plants like Amazon Sword, Elodea, Anacharis, Anubias and Java Fern all HELP your water by taking up excess ammonia or nitrates. And because they actually like being underwater, they will grow and not slowly rot.

Most of the non-aquatic plants sold for fish tanks evolved in boggy environments and do in fact enjoy growing with their ‘feet’ in the water. But since they are meant to breathe air through their leaves, submersing them means they slowly suffocate, as the submerged roots do not provide enough oxygen to the plants.

These plants do look wonderful in a fish tank and may even survive a few weeks, even months. But they don’t have the necessary biology for underwater growth and WILL die.

Do you really want to risk your fish, for a plant that won’t survive anyway?

If you do have some of these plants, don’t throw them away! Pot them up in soil, do some research on their care and then you’ll have some lovely houseplants to grow beside your tank. Or even IN your tank, as long as you have a riparium, or open-topped tank for the plant leaves to grow out of.. but we all know how bettas love to jump! Perhaps pot-plants are a ‘betta’ alternative.

So here’s a list of plants commonly sold as true aquatic plants, which should never be grown fully submerged. Can you recognise any in your own tank?

Palms of any kind.

Palms do not grow underwater!

Dracaena

There’s a lot of plants in this family. None of them grow underwater!

Here’s a dracaena that bettafish.com member Shadyr grew in her tank. Looks nice, doesn't it? Of course, it died and polluted the tank:

Bamboo

Most bamboo is happy to grow with its roots in water. But it cannot survive being wholly submerged.

‘Lucky bamboo’

Looks like bamboo – but it isn’t! It’s actually another dracaena, and is unsuitable for submerged growth.

Aluminum Plant (Pilea cadierei)

Arrowhead (Syngonium podophyllum)

Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum tasson)

Every bit as doomed as the betta is, when grown in a betta vase....

Chameleon Plant (Houttuynia cordata)

Chinese Evergreen (Aglaonema simplex)

Dumb Cane (Dieffenbachia sp.)

Don't let your pets or children chew this! Its toxins cause severe throat irritation (hence the name). Wonder what it does to fish..

Elephant Ear (Caladium)

Japanese Rush (Acorus sp.)

Mondo Grass (Ophiopogon japonicus)

Nerve Plant (Fittonia argyronanta)

Pickerel Weed (Pontederia cordata)

Pothos (Philodendron sp.)

Pothos is far better grown with its roots dangling in a tank and the leaves over the side. It loves growing rooted in water, and fish love swimming through the roots. But don’t put the leaves under!

Prayer Plant (Maranta leucoreura)

Spider Plant (Chlorophytum bichetii)

Sweet Flag (Acorus calamus)

Club Moss (Lycopodium sp.)

Umbrella Plant (Cyperus alternifolius)

Underwater Fern (Selaginella wildenowii)

(never mind the name! it won't survive underwater!)

I hope this is a help!

Last edited by Aus; 06-22-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #2 
Aus

I ought to add that terrestrial (land) or bog plants that have been grown submersed can take a while to get used to being potted. They'll likely lose all their leaves - and may die - but don't throw them out right away! Very often they'll soon send out new shoots better adapted to growing in air, and you'll have a nice house plant!

Please feel free to add to this list - and add a picture! I got all mine from Wiki Commons, so there's no copyright issues.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

Nice list but I have never seen any of those before. Someone should add to the list the not so aquatic plants that petco sells in a tube to the list.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #4 
ZackyBear

I'm going to bookmark this. Thanks for this info!
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #5 
Aus

Tikibirds, I know they sell several of the plants on that list - they tend to look a bit different when under water a while.

I have never been to a Petco (thank goodness) but here's some plants I know they sell that are not true aquatics:

Borneo Sword (Chinese Evergreen)
Aqua Fern (Trichomanes Javanicum)
Giant & Dwarf Papyrus (Cyperus)
Mondo Grass (Ophiopogon)
Dracaena
Peace Liliy (Spathiphyllum)
Peacock Fern (Seliginella, not the same plant as 'peacock moss', which IS aquatic)

Apparently the worst offenders are often in the 'plant packs' they sell..

Last edited by Aus; 06-22-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #6 
Silverfang

Are you sure about dracaena? I have one that has actually grown roots and new leaves. It looks just like the one in the betta tank picture. I'll keep a close watch on it anyways.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #7 
Aus

Yup, I'm very sure. Do keep an eye on it. It -will- go yellow/rot sooner or later unless the majority of the leaves are out of the water. (I've kept those exact dracaena in pots - they got to about 6ft tall..)

What Wikipedia says about Lucky Bamboo (a dracaena):

"Often in large chain pet shops it will be sold as an aquatic plant. While it will live for months like this, it will eventually rot unless the sprouts are allowed to grow above the surface."

The variegated kind in the tank pic probably won't last as long as the lucky bamboo..

Also -- basically, it's safe to say that anything variegated (green with pale/yellow spots or stripes) is not aquatic. I don't think there are any true aquatic plants with that leaf colouring..

Last edited by Aus; 06-22-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #8 
Silverfang

I thought there was a kind of anubis that had verigated leaves... but I am often mistaken.

Just wanted to give a big thanks for all the work, on all the threads :D
Old 06-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #9 
Aus

Oh hey thanks, it was fun. :)

And you're right! Mind, anubias is also amphibious, in that it will grow both submersed and emmersed (just roots in water).. but yes, perhaps that's an exception. I wonder if there's any others?
Old 06-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #10 
Silverfang

Hygrophilia (I think) one species is green with pink veins, under the right lighting.