Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #11 
LaLaLeyla

I got a plant from petco I'm not quite sure what it is -pokes avatar- Any help identifying it?
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #12 
Silverfang

That looks like an anubis 'nana'. If this is your plant http://www.pondsplantsandmore.com/v/...as_Nana-2T.jpg
then you have one, and they are very safe. I would be careful burying it, the rhizome (woody stem) should not be buried.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #13 
LaLaLeyla

Aww okay. I didn't bury it. I only put a few pebbles over it to weigh it down.
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #14 
Aus

Looks like anubias to me *squints at pic*

It'll grow happily on a rock or a bit of wood, tied on with some fine fishing line or cotton (the cotton breaks down by the time the plant has gripped on to whatever it's on).
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #15 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
Hygrophilia (I think) one species is green with pink veins, under the right lighting.
You're right there, too! I also found an apparently? rather rare Rotala that is also variegated, and also needs the correct lighting to bring it out. And a cryptocoryne sp., too, though that is also amphibious, rather than purely aquatic.

I'll bet the Petco ones aren't any of those, though.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #16 
Silverfang

I don't thin I've gotten any bum plants from the LFS.... plants that might require more light than I can provide, but safe ones.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #17 
IndeedPanda

Shoot! I bought some Mondo Grass. Luckily, my betta doesn't jump and has open air above his tank so the bamboo has been doing well for months and hopefully the grass will, but if it starts to rot I'm going to toss it. Arizona is too hot for plants that need humidity and I'm not risking my fish- I love him. (Oh, and I know he doesn't jump because I used to have a jumper and had a mild heart attack every time it was time to change his water. Bo, however, has only jumped once when I tried to scoop him up with a net. He landed on the counter and was promptly set in clean water and observed for half an hour. His fin hurt for 13 hours and he hasn't jumped since.)
IndeedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #18 
Catie79

I just got nailed with an Aqua Fern from Petco, complete with assurances that it would be just fine in my tank. I sent a complaint to corporate. It's a $2.50 plant, but it's the principle of the matter. Now that I think I've located another source of aquarium supplies, they won't get another nickel out of me.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #19 
deso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Oh hey thanks, it was fun. :)

And you're right! Mind, anubias is also amphibious, in that it will grow both submersed and emmersed (just roots in water).. but yes, perhaps that's an exception. I wonder if there's any others?
Hemianthus callitrichoides (sold as Dwarf Baby Tears sometimes) is another one of these. It grows better emersed, but does well submersed after given the chance to establish itself. It's virtually impossible to find in the USA due to the fact that it's collected in Cuba, but is much easier to find here in the EU.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #20 
Mo

I found it at Petco a few times deso
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote