Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #21 
deso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
I found it at Petco a few times deso
No way! Are you sure? Maybe this is a recent development. There's several other Hemianthus plants, not callitrichoides, that look similar (especially glomeratus) and are reasonably common in the US. It's just that I've read so many complaints on other aquarium forums of how hard it is for people to find.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #22 
Aus

I -- have just found a pet supplies store which sells true aquatic plants only.

And cheap! For generous amounts/largish plants! (and thier tanks were pristine, full of happy fish which were merrily -spawning-- in the tanks)

I am quite happy about this!

I bought some very nice stuff.. and omg, the bettas..

I honestly have never seen such a clean, tidy, happy little fish section in a store before. Anyway -- nothing on this list was there!!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #23 
MissLyss1024

Can anyone suggest any websites to purchase the betta-safe plants from? The only store in my area that sells aquatic plants is Petco, and I REFUSE to give them any of my hard earned money! :)
MissLyss1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #24 
ravenwinds

Aquariumplants.com and Aquatic Plant Central(?) Have large selections of aquatic only plants...also aquabid...can be dangerous as I am currently attempting to start a AAA group....aquabid addicts anonymous...:)
Seriously, you can get some really nice plants from aquabid...rare ones too, such as variegated baby tears, crypts and anubias (you were all correct as these all have a variegated sp...BUT...it is much more common for aquatic plants to have a reddish orange/green or reddish purple/green variegated varieties).
Oh, and it was aquariumplantscentral.com I believe(above comment)....they also sell on aquabid and are one of my favorites although user p_volitan is the best! They both have great communication, large portions, competitive pricing, and absolutely gorgeous plants!...sorry for the sales rep/ reviews moderator, but it was in answer to direct question.

Aus: you rock! Wonderful guide, well put together, thanks!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #25 
deso

Aus, I wanted to add a plant to the list: Star Moss (Tortula Ruralis). It's a moss that some people may be tempted to plant in a betta tank because of how beautiful it is (plus, it looks aquatic), but it's not truly aquatic and will die within 2 - 3 months of being kept underwater. Some shops and eBay vendors sell it without telling their customers this.

Last edited by deso; 07-02-2012 at 09:27 AM.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #26 
Aus

Thanks, deso! I've never seen that moss for sale, but it's great to have a pic/some info so we're properly warned off it.

It'd be great if people could do this with any other species not on the main list that they find.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #27 
Sprinkles55

this should be a sticky! I loved this, thanks!
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #28 
GreyHounD

Thank you for this!

Bookmarked!

This is why I know bamboo is not suitable for underwater/aquariums.
GreyHounD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #29 
RowdyBetta

Very insightful for those new to aquatic plants! :)
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #30 
Blue Fish

I've gotten burned on the aluminum plant. I had no idea it wasn't aquatic...thought I was just killing it. ARGH! I mean, it was a $2 plant, but still. ;)

I don't trust ANYTHING the petsmart/petco people tell me. On those *rare* occasions that I actually find someone who knows what they're talking about, it's awesome...but very rare. :P
If I have questions about something, I just google it until I find enough different people saying the same things, or have very reliable sources for their information. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote