Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #1 
Nuts4Mutts

Question Questions from a new Betta owner?...

Okay, I just got a betta on the 22nd. Never owned a fish in my life. I've got a couple of questions about him [I'm sure they happen to every betta, but just making sure.]

Do bettas 'rest' at night? I came into my room last night & Tintin was just sitting there motionless near the bottom of his bowl. For a minute, I thought 'oh man what's wrong with him?' so I poked my finger in there & he started swimming again.
I am assuming this is normal though, right? [just trying to clear things up & make sure it's nothing for me to be concerned over]

The other thing - Tintin is now a picky eater. The reptile store-owner gave me a bottle of her betta food, they're pellets. Tin loved them at first & ate a couple, but then I offered him a dried bloodworm & of course he loved it even more. So now he won't eat his pellets, only wants the worms. But the worms don't give him a super balanced diet.

What should I do to get him to eat his pellets? Should I completely stop giving him bloodworms until he's eaten pellets?

One member suggested to just give him worms once or twice a week as a treat, but can they make a staple part of his diet?

Okay, done asking dumb 'novice' questions now ;) Thank-you for the answers, sorry for sounding like such an idiot... but you've gotta start somewhere right? =]Here's a picture of him the first day we brought him home. =) Thats his bowl that he lives in too, so roomy right? Hahaha! Just kidding. I might be beginner, but I know better than to keep him in that ;)
Nuts4Mutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Most Betta Fish 'Rest' at the Top of the Tank so they can get Air easily. Is your Water Cold? He might be down there because he's Cold.
And Bloodworms are only Treats. They have too much Protein to be Staple. To get him too eat, Fast him for a Day and for the next several Days, feed him only Pellets. Even if he looks starving for Worms don't do it. Just offer only Pellets, until he wants them. Pretty Betta. =3
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #3 
Blue Fish

I'd think he'd start eating eventually, they can go several days without food, so what Lebron said will most likely work. :) If he goes too long being picky, you could also try getting some different pellets and see if that helps at all, some of mine have been particular about certain brands and sizes. :) He's a lovely fish, I've never seen one that color before. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #4 
kfryman

Try to keep him as warm as possible, they like a nice warm temperature at around 78 degrees, if you don't have a heater, make that something to get for him as he won't be as active if he had a heater.

At night they will either just sit around or they will swim slowly, it is pretty much them just resting as fish don't really sleep.

Bloodworms shouldn't be their main diet, a pellet is much more balanced for them anyways. Only feed bloodworms as a treat once or twice a week, in your situation stop feeding bloodworms for a while (1-2 weeks) so he frys use to his pellet. Once he is eating his pellets you can start giving him bloodworms but only one or two days. Only feed him around 4-5 pellets, morning and night for a total of 4-5. Also you can fast him for a day, it is your choice, some do some don't. I prefer to just not feed a meal that day if I am busy or forget too, works better that way anyways.

How big is his bowl? I know some bowls now a days can be 2.5 gallons. Anyways I am sure that you take care of him good enough to live in a gallon of he does that is.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #5 
Nuts4Mutts

Thank you, Lebron & Blue Fish. Yeah, I fell in LOVE with his color! He's 2-tone so he changes from bright turquoise to rose pink. I almost got a gorgeous navy crowntail, but Im glad I didn't, 'cause I went back & looked at him closely, he kinda looked like there was some fin rot or something on him... 0.o
Old 06-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts4Mutts View Post
Thank you, Lebron & Blue Fish. Yeah, I fell in LOVE with his color! He's 2-tone so he changes from bright turquoise to rose pink. I almost got a gorgeous navy crowntail, but Im glad I didn't, 'cause I went back & looked at him closely, he kinda looked like there was some fin rot or something on him... 0.o
Your Welcome!! :) Lebron had a little bit of Fin Rot or a Tail Biting issue when he was in Petsmart. But it cured and he's happy and healthy!! :D
2-Tone? What's that? Like a Marble?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #7 
Nuts4Mutts

Wink

@Lebron: Well, like I say - I don't know technical color-names, but he changes colors. That's why I call him "2-tone". If lighting is just right, he'll be a bright neon aqua-blue on one side, and like a purple/pink dusty-rose color. The lighting in my room makes him always look pink-purple for the most part.

I'd show you a pic of his super-blue vs. super-pink, but I almost never see it, plus I doubt it'd show up on my camera ;p
Old 06-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #8 
lelei

I know what your talking about like an Irredescence..it's beautiful..picks up a lot of different colors in different lighting..Congrats on your lil guy:) He is beautiful, and yes, fishy's do rest, and stop moving, and it's scary at first until you watch your fishy closely and get to know him better, and don't be afraid to ask questions, that is what this forum is for..

I myself have only been a betta mommy for a couple of months and I have learned so much from this forum, and I beleive it's payed off so much, our first betta, in my Avi, Sammy came from Petco, and 2 months later with lots of interaction, and for food choice,

I have gotten him used to the Micro pellets, by Hakari, and I noticed changes after about a month, his color came out, and his fins grew..and he grew:) He was in a 3 gallon and now in a 5 gallon because he (outgrew) his 3 gallon..and to see a fishy Thrive..the reg size pellets for some fishy's aren't what they prefer, they like the micro,

but try others there is one called the "New Life Spectrum" and those are great as well, also vary your fishy's diet with flakes, and bloodworms every once in a while, if he likes them, he'll enjoy em still especially when he only gets them once in a while.. Good luck..keep us posted..Btw..Welcome to the forum:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

He seems to be a Butterfly. Half of the Fins are a Clear White, while the other half, and the Body is a Different color.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #10 
Nuts4Mutts

@lelei thank you so much for the advice/comments. I Love reading them! He is on "Zoo Med micro floating betta pellets" and then I occasionally give him a TetraMin freeze dried bloodworm. =) he's a fairly small betta right now, so hopefully his pellets will help bring out his color, help him grow a bit, and get that tail as big & pretty as it'll get ;p

@Lebron: Okay, glad someone agrees with me that he's a butterfly =) That was the only pattern I figured looked close to his.