Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #1 
gdiross

Sick Betta, please help.

I have had my Betta for about a year and a half now. He is in a 10 gal tank and was quite happy and chilling up until about 4 or 5 days ago. He is not eating, very sluggish to the point where he is on his side and not moving at all, swollen belly(seems so to me at least), red gills, and I think I see 1 or 2 spots indicative to Ich.

I am pretty sure it is Ich, or at least hope so, so I can treat it. Since it's been awhile that I have had him, I am guessing it might be because I bought a live plant and put it in about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I can't think of any other reasons. It's a filtered tank, I don't have it temp controlled, my room stays at about 70 degrees.. I just put in the heater I had and cranked it to 80 degrees and will slowly push it to 85?

What can I do and how can I treat this problem? What medication should I use and how to use it? If the parasite is external, how will they die now if I use medication? PLEASE HELP! My Jeffrey is a cool little guy that I want him around for a few more years to come! :(

Thanks.
gdiross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #2 
jman828

Please fill this out, also until we get a positive diagnosis the heater is best left at 80.
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #3 
gdiross

some pics.. not sure if this helps

Old 06-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #4 
gdiross

Please fill this out, also until we get a positive diagnosis the heater is best left at 80.
Housing
What size is your tank? about 10 gal of water i think
What temperature is your tank? It was room temp at around 70 but I just put in heater and have it at 80, u can see it in pics.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, shown in pics
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Now it is
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none, and I just removed the plant I had in it.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Was usually flakes but then started buying aqueon betta pellets after the pet store is always out or doesn't have flakes.. and blood worms once or twice a week.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Everyday, a pinch of pellets when I get home from work, many fall to bottom and left uneaten. I just did 100% tank clean yesterday.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Maybe every month or 2, if that, and I would add water every few days after it gets evaporated 2 or 3 inches, depending on temperature.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I never did a take out water and replace water change. : /
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I usually just kept it as regular tap water and let it sit about 30 minutes before putting him back in, I used Aqueon water condition a couple times in the past and just used it again when I changed the water yesterday.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Never tested the water, how would I go about doing so?
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH
Hardness
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His upper body seems swollen, he breaths slowly and doesn't move his little gill fins, hardly. His color and fins haven't changed, I think there are little white dots, 1 or 2 or 3, but I am not sure if they are part of his color since he is a light color betta.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He went from swimming around and resting on his tank furniture, eating,... to not eating and laying on his side and never moving unless startling him by touching him or tapping the tank hard. not that I like doing it but if I had to move him, for instance, to take the pictures.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 4 or 5 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? we have had him for a year and a half, not sure how old he was before that.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #5 
gdiross

Help?
Old 06-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #6 
gdiross

I've been readin a lot and can't seem to make an educated guess whether it might be parasitic or bacterial...
Old 06-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #7 
teeneythebetta

WOAH. you need to do more water changes! WEEKLY changes.

If I were you, I'd do maybe a 75% change today (or maybe more) and do a 25% change once a week from now on.

You can test your water by buying a kit for testing ammonia, nitrite & nitrate. I ordered mine at walmart.com it is called the "API Master freshwater test kit"

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 06-23-2012 at 10:58 AM.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #8 
Aus

Quote:
How often do you perform a water change? Maybe every month or 2, if that, and I would add water every few days after it gets evaporated 2 or 3 inches, depending on temperature.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I never did a take out water and replace water change. : /
There's your problem, right there. Huge amount of concentrated ammonia PLUS no water conditioner = burned gills, burned skin, infection gets in = very siick fish. Up your water changes by a LOT.

Out of curiosity - what's changed for him/his tank conditions in the past week? Has there been a heat wave? Any other changes you can think of that might've affected/changed his water? Did you do a water change right before he got sick?

Looking at this guy, eyes, skin, fins, I'd say don't worry about ich - he'll probably get it, at some point, but the more concerning issue here looks very bacterial to me.

Immediate treatment: 100% water change. AQ salt (NOT regular salt) at 1 tsp per gallon to help him clear the ammonia out of his system. 50% water changes daily. Daily! Your fish is poisoned from ammonia (and very probably chlorine as well..). You need to get rid of the ammonia and use water conditioner, every water change.

Get some Kanaplex. 100% water change to clear out the salt. Turn the heat --down slowly -- to 76-78F stop infection speeding up. Use the Kanaplex according to instructions.

Once the treatment's fully finished (and don't stop the cure early if he 'looks better') you can use the Stress Coat with every water change (frequent! water changes) to help his skin recover.

That's what I would do, anyhow, for a fish sick from living in those conditions.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #9 
gdiross

Thank you for helping with that reply. I didn't know about the water changes, I assumed he was a little fish in a big tank and the water looked crystal clear all the time. It was a lack of knowledge on my part. Before reading this post reply I went to the aquarium shop near me and told the staff my situation. He explained the same thing to me, the water changes need to be way more, he said 20 % daily... I already did the 100% 2 days ago, I should do 70% today? He gave me "bettafix" medication and told me how much to put, 1/2 tsp per gallon. I already did so, he said continue to do so for about a week.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #10 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdiross View Post
Thank you for helping with that reply. I didn't know about the water changes, I assumed he was a little fish in a big tank and the water looked crystal clear all the time. It was a lack of knowledge on my part. Before reading this post reply I went to the aquarium shop near me and told the staff my situation. He explained the same thing to me, the water changes need to be way more, he said 20 % daily... I already did the 100% 2 days ago, I should do 70% today? He gave me "bettafix" medication and told me how much to put, 1/2 tsp per gallon. I already did so, he said continue to do so for about a week.
Whoah! Yes, as other members have said you need to do way more frequent changes, but they've got you covered with all that and the meds, but If i were you, myself and most people on this forum will warn you strongly away from Bettafix as it affects their labrynth (breathing) organ and can make the situation worse, so maybe just stick with the other stuff
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote