Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #11 
gdiross

where can i find kanaplex and how do i use it? do i use it after a few days of salt treatment? Do I continue salt treatment forever? When I change the water 50% do I add salt again, over and over? Do I not use Bettafix like jman suggested? Thanks, I just did a 100% water change and added AQ salt.. do I keep the filter in an on and just take out the carbon? I cleaned the filter out with hot water...Thanks again
gdiross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #12 
gdiross

Unhappy

During my 100% change, and adding the salt, I put my betta in a side bowl during change. When I put him in I realized his scales poking out! This sucks, I don't know what to do. Is this dropsy? Please see photos below.. Does my little guy have like 10 things wrong with him now.. grrr this is frustrating, especially since this forum isn't instant conversation back and forth :( and his eyes are so puffed out!

since he wont eat, how long can he go without eating?? I tried feeding him 1 pellet when he was in his side bowl during change...
Old 06-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #13 
ao
TFK Moderator

I think the problem here is nitrates, most likely the tank is already cycled. Unfortunately, wholst there are bacterial thay converts ammonia and nitrites, they will do nothing for nitrates. you have a nitrate build up in you tank. With a cycled tank such as yours. I think 25% weekly is a good amount.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #14 
ao
TFK Moderator

It certainly does look like dropsy :( can you find plain unscentd epsom salt? put 3 tsps/gallon and put your fish in that. The rest... I hope someone else can help you :(

Oh and stop aquarium salt treatment...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #15 
LebronTheBetta

Dropsy
•Symptoms: Your betta will have a bloated belly and raised scales. They will look like a pine cone. This is usually a fatal disease caused by an internal bacterial infection resulting in internal organ failure but many have had success bringing fish back when treated quickly.
Early Symptoms: Swollen eyes (important), Gray belly (important), Clamped fins, Lethargy. If your fish has swollen eyes and a gray belly, I suggest that you treat it for Dropsy.
•Treatment: If you spot the early signs of Dropsy then treat him/her with ES at 1-2tsp/gal and Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets while performing 100% daily water changes. It helps to increase the temperature to 84*F. If he/she has begun Pineconning then do the full course as described below:
Performing daily 100% water changes. Increase the temperature to 84*F. Add 1-2 tsp/gal Epsom Salt. Use API General Cure OR API Erythromycin OR Maracyn II and/or Maracyn for best results. Feed something containing Metronidazole, for example, Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. If caught early, Dropsy is curable.

Your Betta is not in the Early Symptoms. I hope he gets better if he can.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #16 
gdiross

thanks for the response.. so now I do another 100% water change and take out the AQ salt, and add the Epsom salt? This page.. http://www.bettainfo.com/dropsy says to treat with aruarium salt, the stress coat stuff and a cure-all treatment.. what kind of cure-all treatment?? Is the dropsy an end-stage to the result of some type of bacterial infection?

Can I find "API General Cure OR API Erythromycin OR Maracyn II and/or Maracyn for best results. Feed something containing Metronidazole, for example, Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets" in a petsmart or petco? And which is best, there are a lot of "or's" .. which is best? IF he isnt eating at all how is he going to eat the anti-parasite pellets??
Old 06-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #17 
LebronTheBetta

Epsom Salt is for Inside Problems. Aquarium for External. Yes, add Epsom.
Stress Coat is to help with the Stress Coat, a Cure-All Treatment is like a Treatment that cures everything. I have never heard of that before. Possibly a Medicine that cures Dropsy, and other Diseases with the same Symptoms.
I think you can find the API General Cure, Maracyn II, and Maracyn at PetSmart/Co. Not sure about the Erythromycin. Or Jungle's sorry. :(
I found the Dropsy Sheet in this Site. I know about it though. Ask Old Fish Lady, or Olympia, Mo, or Sakura8 to help you with the Best Treatment. I think you should try the Epsom Salt 1st. Again ask them. And he must eat those Pellets!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #18 
gdiross

I don't think they sell jungle medicated food anymore,, I looked at a lot of places online... And I don't think commercial chains have medicated fish food? What's my best plan/ educated guess for treatment!? Hellppp , I read somewhere that Epsom salt isn't good to give?
Old 06-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #19 
Tikibirds

Jungle's anti parasite medicated food? I seen it at walmart once but its pretty hard to find as is maracyn 2. I have never had a betta actually eat the medicated pellets anyways.

He is looking pretty bad but yes, you should at the very least start the epsom. Start out with 1 teaspoon per gallon. 12 hours later add in another teaspoon and then again 12 hours after that so that you have 3 teaspoons per gallon. Its easiest to do this in a small tank or bowl. You should premix the water in say a milk jug, then add the water to the bowl. Slowly add in the fish. Do 100% water changes every day. It can be used for weeks if need be.

Dropsy is usually a symptom of another disease.

Aquarium salt can be harmful to bettas after 14 or so days. You won't find any real meds at Petco. If you have a petsmart they should have API General Cure OR API Erythromycin. Furan 2 or triple sulfa might work if his dropsy is caused by a internal bacterial disease. If you can not find any of them - go ahead and use the bettafix because at this stage, you really have noting to loose. If you do use bettafix do NOT overdose him on it. I think thats where alot of the negative reports about deaths come from. People not reading the instructions.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-23-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #20 
eaturbyfill

I am sorry things are not looking good for your Betta.. Best of luck. Just try to get him medicated and keep the water as clean as possible.
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote