Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #1 
jman828

Question On Compatibility

Just wondering, probably a REALLY stupid question and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but still going to ask just in case. If I were to catch a bullhead fish and put it in my tank would that be okay? I'm pretty sure not but I know little to none about compatability. Also, I do know zebra danios can work sometimes, if i got a few how could I feed them without the bettas getting to eat the food first?
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #2 
djembekah

idk about bull heads, but i try to feed my bettas at one spot and danios at another. usually the danios actually zip to the food first- like when i drop a pellet in front of a girl, the danio zips buy and grabs it before she figures out what it is. training them is a good idea. i haven't figured that one out yet x3

oh. if you are in Canada, the temperature a betta needs is PROBABLY a looot warmer than any fish you catch this far north of the equator
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #3 
kfryman

No, bettas come from warm waters, you live in Canada, you know where it snows lol. So no don't even try it will just die going from wild cold water to captivity and very warm water.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #4 
bettaboytroy

My guess is if the bullhead is 5 inches or bigger it may try to eat the betta. seems like they'll chomp on anything that touches their barbels. Also it would need to be fed meaty food like earthworms/nightcrawlers so it could get yucky fast. I agree bullheads are better kept in cold water. It may not even be legal to keep one without a permit. I know here in Minnesota they can be pretty anal about that stuff. (Tasty little critters though)
bettaboytroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #5 
jman828

That's true, never thought about that, and kryfman, in Canada yes, it does snow but in my part I'm lucky if i get 10 days of snow in winter and a week of sun at one time...lol...terrible fraser valley weather if you know where that is.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #6 
kfryman

The water is not the same temperature either way, your up North bettas come from more South.

You could setup another tank that matches your water temperature and get one, but have a big tank as, a wild fish is gonna be upset in confined areas.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #7 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
The water is not the same temperature either way, your up North bettas come from more South.

You could setup another tank that matches your water temperature and get one, but have a big tank as, a wild fish is gonna be upset in confined areas.
Yah, it would. I don't really want to bug them, I'll leave them where they are in the river and just fish for them instead and just kill them (they're not really all that good of a species so they could use some culling)
Old 06-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #8 
Kitty Whiskers

One time during Summer Vacation from High School, I caught baby Bull Heads with a fish net from the flooded river after a huge rainstorm. I added them to my Goldfish tank. They got along fine untill the Bull Heads were a couple months older and they killed and ate the Goldfish! I added a few big Feeder Goldfish the size of the Bull heads and the next morning they were killed and eaten too. So... Bad idea.
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote