Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2012, 03:19 AM   #1 
IndeedPanda

Question Betta ignores Pellets

My fish, Bo, has really pulled a Lazarus and I'm so proud he's healthy, but I have a problem feeding him.

He's still in his 2.5 hospital and his fins have been regrowing and he has no more ick or parasites. When he was on death's threshold with his tail in the door and a cloaked figure was asking him about a beverage he was unable to eat pellets. He's grab one, spit it out, grab, chew, spit, grab, spit, ignore. So I have him flakes. Now he's bigger and colorful and SPOILED. He won;t eat flakes that are:
too big
too dark
too small
oddly veined
SOGGY- I kid you not
or the wrong color. I try to scoop left overs out, but he eats three bites and then starts begging for food again even as I'm preparing to get the uneaten food out. I can't seem to scoop it all out and other people feed him so his tank needs to be cleaned daily.

I would like him to eat pellets so I can be sure he gets enough food without getting too much and to help his water stay clean, but he does not eat them. I was told to stop giving him flakes and just feed him pellets and wait for him to eat them... but I love him. How can I starve him? I know he needs to get less picky, but how do I change behavior. He won't even eat freezedried or frozen foods.
IndeedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:52 AM   #2 
teeneythebetta

Have you tried crushing the pellet into smaller pieces? My Betta was eating tetra flakes for awhile but I wanted to have portion control and get a high quality food for her. I bought omega one tropical fish pellets. I gave her a whole one and she just spit it out a couple times then swam away. I broke it into very small pieces and she eats them now. I was told to try to increase the size of the pellets over time and she might take them whole.

Have you tried to fast him for one day? At first my Betta wouldn't eat the small pellet pieces. I felt bad doing it, but I did not feed her for 1 day (it is actually good for them, it cleans out their digestive system) and she is eating them now.

Good luck.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #3 
IndeedPanda

Is there a good way to crush them up? Gah, he keeps looking at me.

It's not fair. He'll win. He's cute!
Old 05-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedPanda View Post
Is there a good way to crush them up? Gah, he keeps looking at me.

It's not fair. He'll win. He's cute!
Meh, I just try using my finger nail to split it in sort of half. (yeah gross but whatever kept her happy) then the little pieces are easy to break apart. You may need to give him a little more pellets since some of the pellet turns to dust. But if you can get him eating it bigger and bigger, you can easily portion control :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #5 
Sivan

Have you tried the garlic water method? Some people soak their pellets in garlic water to make them more appealing to the fish. Betta fish tend to gobble them up quickly, for the flavor is supposed to be attractive for them.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

for my babies I put a few pellets in a small paper bag and squash them with the back of a chopstick from the outside
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #7 
IndeedPanda

Thank you all SO MUCH! My betta now happily eats pellets. I have 4 different kinds, too, so he won't get bored.