Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #1 
Frazzle

Unhappy Head stuck

I came home from work and saw that my betta got his head stuck in one of the decorations :( he was wedged tight and i didnt know what to do :( i got a cotton ball, got it wet, and then gently pushed him back, but not he's missing scales and the bottom fin is all torn. he leans now, moves slowly, and wont eat.

is he going to die? or will he possibly pull through?
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:29 AM   #2 
DormDrax

*shrugs*
Common sense tells me he's probably just in shock, and abit hurt.

I'd say he'll be fine after some time

I mean if you lost some skin or twisted an ankle your not instantly walking it off. Just do a decent water change and use some Epsom salt (you can get this at most stores like CVS and Walgreens) it's like the Antibiotic for bettas haha
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:51 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

Missing scales and torn fins will grow back. If you can get stress coat, it should help. Keep him in a dark, quiet place for a day or two. If he lists to one side, its possible his swim bladder may of been damaged. If it was, they can live with it damaged but they would need more special care. Only time will tell. He is probably in shock as it was a tramatic experience for him, give him some time to heal. he may be fine in a few hours
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #4 
Kenny G

Betta's are tough fish. Your's should be fine in a few days. I would recommend Betta Betta Fish Remedy it's an all-natural treatment made of Melaleuca (a tea-tree) so no worries about overdosing/over-medicating. The tropical almond leaf extract will help heal his scales and fins. Right now the little guy is just a bit traumatized.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

Actually You can overdose with that stuff. I would be careful and only use the recommended dose if you chose that stuff maybe even half. Some people have success with it others won't touch the stuff. There's an idea floating around that it damages swim bladders after a certain exposure. Don't know if it is true or not but thats an argument for a little later date I think. :)
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #6 
Silverfang

I have to disagree, skip anything that has tea tree oil, it's just safer. Let him rest in the dark, don't offer food for a day, then make sure to keep his water clean. You might want to up his water changes after a day or two, just to help prevent fin rot.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #7 
Frazzle

He's back to normal!!! and looking as good as ever, execpt going from red to copperish green :P
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote