Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2012, 01:48 AM   #1 
MaxGreenMDE

what have you used for Body Rot and what should I use?

So Dahvie has a case of body rot that honestly doesn't seem to be getting better. I've been changing the water out every other day, have tried using bettafix (which I'm almost out of now). I've tried using Stress Coat and I have been adding salt to the water. Is there anything that might work better? :( i miss him looking so pretty.

I want to catch this before it gets worse luckily it hasn't taken his entire fins off and not even half, they actually seem to be healing. But the marks on his body seem to still be there and aren't changing, as in, not getting worse but not getting better either.
MaxGreenMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:04 AM   #2 
prodrumernate

you have used and done everything i have done.but i think it just needs more time.1 of my girls got torn up pretty badly...and she was slowly healing.i wanted it to go faster myself.but could only wait..i used the same stuff you have mentioned above..if the fish is in a big aquarium.i would put Dhavie in a smaller tank.like a 1 gallon.and keep doing as you have been doing..of course make sure the water temp is constant and check your water parameters.
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #3 
MaxGreenMDE

He is in a 2.5 gal tank and I have a heater for him in there set to 80.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #4 
prodrumernate

oh here on bettafish.com has the info i used at one point.dont know if yo have checked it out or not..but its surely worth a try..

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

DISEASE: TAIL ROT OR FIN ROT (OR BOTH!)

uGENERAL INFO:

This disease comes mainly from dirty water. If you keep his water VERY clean Mr. Betta will never get tail/fin rot. It is not overly contagious, and bettas will more than likely recover if treated promptly. Fins/tail will grow back, though may not have same color or may not look as good or be as long.

frayed fins and a darker edge are clear signs of fin rot

uSYMPTOMS:

Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter. Or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving. There may be a darker color (or a reddish one) to the edge of the betta’s fins/tail. He may be still active and eating normally, or may have stopped eating, fins may be clumped, color may be pale.
uTREATMENT:

Do a full jar water change. Use tetracycline or Ampicillin (included in our Betta First Aid Kit) combined with Fungus Eliminator (included in our Betta First Aid Kit). Change water every third day and add a new dose of same medication. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth. This may take up to 4 weeks, so don’t give up. Once rot stops and fins start growing back you can stop treatment, but not before then.
Note: If the rot is very slight or mild, you could use Maracyn I and Maracyn II (together at half the dose each) by Mardel. These med can help but are not very powerful. They come in hard tablet which is a real pain to administer. You'll have to crush them into a powder before you can administer to a betta in a bowl. A tablet treats 10 gal of water, so you do the math. Do not overmedicate! If you are caught by surprise and do not have a First Aid Betta Kit (naughty naughty), then you can run to a local Petco or something and probably find the Maracyn I & II and at least try that. My advice though? Be ready! Get your Betta First Aid Kit now so you have the real powerful stuff at hand and are ready when the you-know-what hits the fan! (or life will get real messy LOL).
Old 06-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #5 
prodrumernate

is the 2.5 gallon filtered?and any tank mates?
Old 06-23-2012, 02:20 AM   #6 
MaxGreenMDE

No tank mates and yes it has a filter, however, bettafix instructs to remove carbon so it's shut off at the moment.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #7 
MaxGreenMDE

It could be just healing slowly and needs more time I just wanted to see if there were other options or if I'm doing it right. Dahvie being my first betta and being sick I'm so nervous. Fish are hard to treat :(
Old 06-23-2012, 03:19 AM   #8 
prodrumernate

good..i say you are doing it rite.ive done it the way you are..i know exactly how you feel.unfortunately for me i just lost 5 girls..last died earlier this morning.but i learned it really wasnt so much my fault.i was given a sick fish and it caused the other to get sick..my first betta died as well..they all died within the past 2 weeks.but i have another betta in a seperate tank.and she is as healthy as can be...but i do know exactly how you feel.and i felt there was more i could do.but i learned there wasnt.

definitely keep an eye on him.if he gets worse.surly post back on here his symptoms..for now all we can really do is just wait.they do take time to heal.keep cleaning his water as you have been doing.of course make sure its dechlorinated. give the medication as recommend..hopefully he wasnt sick when he was at the store like mine was.though mine had no symptoms until it was too late..

and hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge than i can give better tips and ideas on what to do..i had a betta for a couple years.but that was about 3 years ago..then just got back into it the past 3 months.but this time with more in 1 tank.

with Dhavie being isolated and in a smaller tank.treatment should be a lot easier and better for him.

any changes..post immediately please.id like to know how things are going and if you make any changes in treating him so i could pass the knowledge on..
Old 06-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #9 
Aus

Can we have a picture of the marks, or at least a good, detailed description - are they white, fuzzy, flat, red and sore looking, black, is he looking sick, what's going on in general. Because body rot is pretty serious... if it's just him changing colours or something, the treatment is entirely different.

If they look like open sores, don't faff about with bettafix. Antibiotics. Get some. Use them.

Kanaplex is a good gram negative antibiotic. Bettafix is a herbal antiseptic, not an antibiotic (different thing entirely) and over-use can be bad for your fish. Kanaplex treats several different types of bacteria, so it's got a good chance of knocking out whatever's caused the rot.

If he's really got rot on his body, get onto that like, ASAP. Body rot is serious stuff. Don't use salt if he's been on it constantly for more than 10 days. Don't use salt with medication. Don't use bettafix..

And please, some more info / pics regarding the body rot. Or, if you're really sure that's what it is - get the Kanaplex.

Last edited by Aus; 06-23-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote