Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2012, 03:08 AM   #1 
mpimezon

Fish sitting at bottom of tank

my betta is spending most of the time sitting in the bottom of tank. he appears, touch wood, healthy otherwise. he did this a couple of days ago before I got my new 2.5 gallon tank. he was cool in the new tank for a couple of days and has started doing it again. other than this behavior he looks to be ok. he eats the 2 pellets (soaked) that I feed him. I see he poops every day as I stir and net it out so his water doesnt get bad. he is not bloated or anything of that sort either. until last week I was feeding him only one pellet a day somehow I thought that is optimal. now I feed twice a day.

so he sits at the bottom of the tank when alone. he is very active when he sees me and is fixated at me whenever I am within sight probably because I am the one who feeds him. every time I get to the tank he goes into a demanding frenzy for food like a meth addict.... 'gimmie gimmie gimmie'! lol.

tank info is as follows: 2.5 gallon, with water filter, no heater but I control the thermostat in my house to 80 F. it dose not vary much.
as far as the water parameters, the API kit always shows 0 ppm NH3/NH4+ for me and I follow instructions perfectly. all time 0 ppm sounds somewhat too good to be true. but that is what it shows. since I got the new tank, I am cycling it by changing 10% water every day. starting next week I will change 25% water every 4-5 days.

I also used strips for other parameters. pH is around 8, nitrate, nitrite are also nonexistent, hardness and gH are high (180 ppm both cases). but that is the tap water our city gets. I am not very comfortable using the reverse osmosis water.

so, can someone tell me why my little guy is sluggish?

This comes at a time when I have to move from AZ to NE. Next weekend is when I gonna make the 4 day trip and it has to be that long because my pregnant wife has to driver her car and we dont want to do more than 6 hours a day on the road. I hope he doesnt get too stressed out by the trip. any advice on the road trip could also be very helpful.

Last edited by mpimezon; 06-23-2012 at 03:14 AM.
mpimezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #2 
copperarabian

First off, it's best to feed at least 4 pellets a day if their normal sized betta pellets.

As for sitting on the bottom of the tank, he may just be tired if you notice it more at night. Does he have any decorations he can rest on near the surface? also is your filter baffled, if the current is too strong he may be sitting on the bottom from over exerting himself trying to swim against a current
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:20 AM   #3 
mpimezon

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
First off, it's best to feed at least 4 pellets a day if their normal sized betta pellets.

As for sitting on the bottom of the tank, he may just be tired if you notice it more at night. Does he have any decorations he can rest on near the surface? also is your filter baffled, if the current is too strong he may be sitting on the bottom from over exerting himself trying to swim against a current
oh ok. I will up his diet for the next four days. since he will be traveling I will have to fast him starting two days before his trip. does that sound good?

and regarding the filter, no it is pretty low force filter and doesnt create a lot of current.

Last edited by mpimezon; 06-23-2012 at 03:23 AM.
mpimezon is offline   Reply With Quote