Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2012, 04:14 AM   #1 
ROSSELLA1

Ick?

Hi,
So my betta, Serendipity, has some white spots on his fins. I was wondering, how do I know if it's ick or not?
ROSSELLA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:53 AM   #2 
Kenny G

If it looks like tiny grains of salt over parts of his body more than likely it could be Ich. Ich parasites thrive in cool water so if you have a heater (you didn't say if you had one or not) slowly raise the temperature in the tank to around 80˚F – 82˚F for the next 24 to 48 hours. This is where the biggest debate happens on this forum. Some holistic betta owners will say having him in warmer water between 80-82 degrees and performing daily water changes will cure him and kill the ick, others will say treat with a Super Ick medication. Its my personal belief to treat with medication. Good luck and keep me posted on his progress.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #3 
Aus

A picture would be good, or some detailed information about what the spots look like. Because if it's not ich and you raise the temp, it could make things worse.

All medications are stressful for fish. I have used the salt/heat and meds methods both for ich, and both were effective.

So if you have a picture, or can describe the spots (are they flat and soft looking or bright white, like little 'pimples'?) that would be great, as people can then have a better chance of making a correct diagnosis before you start treating him with stuff.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #4 
ROSSELLA1

I tried to take a picture, but he wouldn't stop moving! They don't look like anything in particular. I mean they're not bright white. I don't think they're raised, but he won't stop moving long enough for me to get a good look. There are about three on each of his front fins (don't know the technical names for those). He's had them ever since I got him, a few weeks ago, and they're not anywhere else on his body.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #5 
kfryman

Well if they haven't multiplied or anything its not ick, ick is a parasite and won't stay in the sane numbers.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #6 
ROSSELLA1

Thank you! Is there anything it could be? Anything bad, I mean?
Old 06-24-2012, 04:38 AM   #7 
DormDrax

I'm having similiar thoughts with Sotto...
An odd white patch and all I can think is... (replace Dip with ICK) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je3wNbZ1NqI then again I'm super paranoid lol
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:59 AM   #8 
ROSSELLA1

Okay, if it's not ick, it's definitley something else because now it's on his tail fin, too. I moved him into a cup treated with treated saltwater. Tomorrow (after I get new stuff for my filter) I'm going to do 100% water change in the tank and in his cup and maybe get some ick medication. Anything else I should be doing?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:30 AM   #9 
Aus

It would be great if you provide a picture to go with your description. Or it's really hard to guess from what you've told us what exactly might be wrong.

It doesn't sound like ich to me. Ich moves fast and if those spots were there for weeks and didn't spread, they are almost certainly not ich.

So why buy ich meds, when it probably isn't that?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:43 AM   #10 
copperarabian

Sometimes the ick doesn't produce very much and they will only have a few spots. I treat ick by raising the temperature of the aquarium(this will speed up the life-cycle of the parasite, and possibly kill some as well). I combine this with aquarium salt for 2 weeks with large water changes every day with a gravel vacuum(the parasite hides in the gravel, but sometimes can be seen swimming if you have a good eye). If you are doing a water change in a small aquarium like a 2.5g it's best to do daily 100% water changes - Bring the entire tank to a sink or tub and rinse the rocks really well several times to remove all parasites. It helps if you remove everything but the rocks then stick your hand in the rocks and swish them around really good. When the above treatment fails, I have found that coppersafe works the best.It's best to avoid using medication first thing as it allows the parasite to build a resistance to the meds, then they may not be as effective when you really need them.

Make sure to check your nitrates, they are often the cause of a ick outbreak.

Here's some images of what Ick looks like, it can sometimes be smaller or bigger

Bettas with Ick

Last edited by copperarabian; 06-27-2012 at 03:51 AM.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote