Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #1 
stark525

Does my betta look ok?

Hello Everyone!

About a month ago I got my betta (Tony). I had her in a 1 gallon tank with a filter/heater. Today I purchased a tank thats a bit bigger. (A medium kritter keeper) I purchased a filter for it and have the heater in it as well.

Anyway, I used to have fish for years (not betas though) and they got sick during a what change once because of stress. Ever since then I have been extremely paranoid whenever chaining water or tanks. I make sure the temperature is right and the stress coat and water conditioner.

Hhe seems to be doing okay in the new tank, he was swimming around a lot but now she's hiding behind the decorations frequently so I am worried he might be sick. Also she seems a bit darker... I am not sure if I am just being paranoid but would really appreciate it if you guys could take a look and tell me if he looks okay or not. Thank you in advance.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
stark525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #2 
Chrexis

So I believe she's a he, I'd have to say that most if not all female betta's have shorter fins some of the males also.

He may just be getting used to having more space, could just be enjoying more room and the decorations. I don't see anything physically wrong with him. How many gallons is your new tank? How long has he been in it? What kind of water changes are you doing to it? What's the temperature? Water parameters? Is he still eating? What are you feeding him?

Sorry for all the questions but the more information the better!
Chrexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #3 
Canuck Fins

It will take some time for your fish to adjust to the bigger size. Sounds like a better size. I don't see anything on the photo that indicates any issues. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #4 
stark525

Thanks guys for the replys! I am not sure the exact size of the new tank but it's ATLEAST double the size of his last one (which was a gallon). I am not able to have a regular 10 gallon at the moment.

He has not eaten in the new tank yet because I just put her in it this morning, after I fed him in the old one. But I was feeding him the freeze-dried blood worms, then I found out thats really only supposed to be a treat and got him pellets (which he does not seem to care for... but I only tried them this morning)

I am not sure of the exact tempature but it is not cold and there is a heater. This is the heater: http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-HEATER-A...ds=mini+heater If that is not good can anyone suggest a better one that is okay for the smaller tanks.

I was planning on doing a water change every week... unless you think I should do more. I use the stress coat and water dechlorinator. She does have a filter.

I was just not sure if it's okay he is dark in some places (like his face) and darker in between his find if you look really close... I know it might be normal but if not I just want to make sure.

Thanks again guys for getting back to me so quickly!

Sorry I kept saying she by the way! I have a gerbil that is a girl so I am used to saying her and she lol.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I think your betta looks fine and he is very pretty love his colors ! Sometimes their colors will deepen I dont think that is any problem its when they go paler thats a problem as far as I know. I would say he is just a little stressed getting used to his new home thats larger but he will fine and new fish often will not eat for a few days but ofter him the pellets twice a day morning and evening. Best wishes to you and your little little guy !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #6 
lelei

I actually have the same fishy...in a 1.75 Kritter keeper, as well, he is in his temporary..for fin rot, which is clearing up nicely..but for water changes, 3-4x a week, unless he is being treated for an illness, but if you have it filtered 2x a week should be ok, but I would do a 50-75% then a complete water change, 100% on the 3rd day..

I am doing 100% water changes daily for his fin rot, but yours looks healthy, as far as feeding goes I would try a Micro pellet they seem to take to them better, this fishy, would not eat for almost a month wehn I got him, he is a rescue, and now he eats just fine, Micro pellets 3 pellets 3x a day") is bringing out his fins, his energy, and his color:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #7 
stark525

Thanks again guys! I feel a lot better now :)

Can anyone recommend a good heater for small tanks? I don't really like that one I have I feel it could be better.

Thanks!